PDA

View Full Version : Osage & Walnut box

Dennis Ford
03-30-2011, 10:53 PM
A box of Osage and Walnut, the finial is Holly. I think the colors will work together better once the Osage darkens more. My wife really likes the "White Hershey Kiss" finial.
This is ~ 5.5 " diameter.

Comments & critiques welcome

Jim Burr
03-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Hmmmmm Dennis, the form is very good and the carved feet are great. Nice full finial too! I think the 3 wood combo just isn't mu cup of tea today. Over all though...well done!

Bob Bergstrom
03-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Nice to see the white finial. I guess it is like the new ipad2. White is better. Black is old. LOL.

John Keeton
03-31-2011, 7:06 AM
Dennis, you certainly have been busy!!! These lidded pieces you are doing are an interesting form. Generally, it is difficult to get an homogenous look with three colors/species, but this one seems to work in an odd way. Perhaps it is the stark contrast. The osage will turn more brown, but the walnut will lighten to an amber color. Not sure what that will look like, but it will be fun to see what happens. You will need to let us know!

Roger Chandler
03-31-2011, 7:13 AM
Nice form Dennis.................the finial and feet really set it off..........while I like Osage and walnut, the combo is going to have to grow on me a bit!

Roland Martin
03-31-2011, 7:25 AM
Quite a unique combination of species, Dennis. Not quite sure about the colors, but the form, feet and finial are all very well done. It would be very interesting to see this in 6 months or so.

Edward Bartimmo
03-31-2011, 6:54 PM
Dennis,

The form is quite nice. The color pallet is going to change as the Osage browns out from UV exposure. Knowing this I guess I would be most focused on the grain pattern of the Walnut and Osage to make certain that they are reasonably compatible for when the two wood colors start converging. Conflicting grain patterns may interupt the curve/shape. This is something I have contemplated frequently being a big fan of Mulberry. I have come to the position that if I use different woods I focus more on matching the other wood against the ultimate color that the Mulberry with patina toward. In the case of one bowl it was 1 week after someone moved it directly into sunlight. The contrast really is inside the box which shouldn't change very much do to limited light exposure (over years and not a long weekend).

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2011, 8:36 PM
Interesting piece! Cool feet! The profile photo makes the piece look like it is walking!