PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Burl

Dennis Ford
03-30-2011, 10:48 PM
This is the first cedar burl that I have seen, no eyes but very pretty coloring and swirling grain. It had some voids and I did not think it would stay together without some help so I used some maple for inlaid patches. The patches are burned/textured on the inside and not too distracting. I left them white on the outside but don't really like how that came out. It is big (18 inches diameter).

Comments & Critiques welcome.

Jim Burr
03-30-2011, 11:37 PM
I think the "bandaids" are worth the price of admission alone Dennis. Great save and to keep them hidden on the inside...I'd never of thought about it. Real well done sir!

Jon Prouty
03-31-2011, 12:44 AM
okay... wow. what a save! I never would have thought of doing something like that. Great job on a huge bowl!

JP

David Reed
03-31-2011, 1:03 AM
Stunning cedar. I also have never seen a large cedar burl like this. What type of cedar do you have in Texas? Very nice large size bowl and I agree that the dovetail bandaids are a really cool feature, but the concealment from the top side is also very well done. In all, very nice execution.

Jon Lanier
03-31-2011, 1:15 AM
That is a very cool idea! Like it.

Donny Lawson
03-31-2011, 6:35 AM
Nice save. I think I would have used some inlace chrystals and filled the gaps and added different colors to it. The bandaid patches are very different.

John Keeton
03-31-2011, 6:50 AM
Dennis, that is a big bowl!!!! And, some beautiful wood - I have never seen cedar burl, but definitely will keep an eye out for it. How thick are the butterfly keys?

Gary Max
03-31-2011, 6:59 AM
Very nice Dennis------ I have only seen a couple of Cedar burls and none that big. Thanks for posting

Roland Martin
03-31-2011, 7:30 AM
What a nice piece of cedar, Dennis. We don't grow cedar like that in my neck of the woods! Really nice color and grain and the dovetail bandaids are neat. Nice work!

Mark Hubl
03-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Wow, nice large bowl. Would be scary to turn without the butterflies, nice touch. Looks good.

David E Keller
03-31-2011, 1:39 PM
That's a nifty solution to a challenging piece of wood. Nicely done.

John Beaver
03-31-2011, 2:52 PM
I think I would burn / texture the butterflies on the outside also. I really like the concept, just think they distract from the Cedar too much.
Otherwise nice effort.

Dennis Simmons
03-31-2011, 6:47 PM
The wood is beautiful, I can see a couple of face features. look at it very close. I have heard that every thing is big in Texas, cedar this size proves that theory!! I like the butterfly bandage.

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2011, 8:42 PM
I think I would burn / texture the butterflies on the outside also. I really like the concept, just think they distract from the Cedar too much.

I agree that the band-aids are a pretty cool idea but find the color difference distracting from the beauty of the cedar.

I do like how you blended everything together on the inside of the bowl! Nice work on this one!

Kelvin Burton
03-31-2011, 8:52 PM
Greta bowl Denis, I really appreciated seeing it up close last Saturday!

Thomas Canfield
03-31-2011, 9:21 PM
After seeing the piece Saturday at out local (East Texas Woodturners) meeting, I think that you have to get up close and personal to really appreciate how little wood is in the center and what the butterflies are holding together. It is an incredible piece. Cedar is such a soft and weak wood that something this size alone would be impressive without all the voids.

Baxter Smith
03-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Great looking piece! Have never seen a cedar burl before.