PDA

View Full Version : I have a different definition of "well Maintained" than this sell does.

John Gregory
03-30-2011, 5:51 PM
Would anyone consider this saw "well maintained"? 210 AMPS??? I doubt that.

I was going to share my opinion of the seller, but momma said "if you can't say anyting nice....." You know the rest.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=14593601&cat=95&lpid=5&search=

Myk Rian
03-30-2011, 6:07 PM
Just in case the ad gets lost;

Gary Hodgin
03-30-2011, 6:20 PM
Reminds me of some of the CL ads I've seen. Well-maintained for some means it still has a power cord.

John Gregory
03-30-2011, 6:43 PM
Thanks Myk

glenn bradley
03-30-2011, 6:54 PM
That rust inhibiting roll of masking tape around the top handle must've expired.

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-30-2011, 6:54 PM
I saw an ad for a bandsaw in 'excellent' condition. it didn't have a motor, and looked all rusted.

Neil Brooks
03-30-2011, 7:02 PM
I'm not sure anything we can come up with is going to hold a CANDLE to the whoppers that are told on the online dating sites ;)

mickey cassiba
03-30-2011, 7:13 PM
But John, you get a nice roll of old masking tape and some well maintained blue plastic to go with it!

Joe Angrisani
03-30-2011, 8:18 PM
That's VINTAGE masking tape, Mickey....

Jim Rimmer
03-30-2011, 8:29 PM
Let's try to be positive. The plastic was ripped back for the photo, the tape roll was protecting the top from dings, paint is not scratched, cord seems to be all right, blade's not rusted. :rolleyes: Don't know where I would get a 210 amp circuit, though.

Peter Quinn
03-30-2011, 8:58 PM
I'm not sure anything we can come up with is going to hold a CANDLE to the whoppers that are told on the online dating sites ;)

Well if I ever go for an online dating situation I'll be sure to refer to myself as "Well maintained". I'm in better shape than that saw, for now anyway.

What exactly is "two phase power" anyway? I've heard of single phase, three phase, but never "2 Phase"? Must work only with that "210V" service?

Chip Lindley
03-31-2011, 4:35 AM
At least the seller included pix. You can be the Judge of what condition the RAS is in, to the extent the photos allow.

I would be concerned with what the seller calls a "2-phase" motor more than anything else. If it is truly "2-phase" you won't be hooking it up except in a few select "old" Eastern cities. Niagra Falls originally had 2-phase generators.

There's an old story about a guy that advertised a "cherry" '67 Mustang in the want ads. A young Mustang-lover called and got directions to go see the classic auto. When he got there, the Mustang was wayy less than pristine; cracked windshield, dented fender, really weathered paint, and a flat tire. The potential buyer ranted, "I thought you said this Mustang was "cherry!" The seller replied, "Well, if I had been really honest you would never have come to look at it!" Hmmm....

Van Huskey
03-31-2011, 5:42 AM
What kills me is it always pains me to place good/excellent etc in an ad as I want to be accurate as not to turn buyers off. The more I see the more I am convinced every machine I have ever sold was "like new" :)

Dave Gaul
03-31-2011, 8:39 AM
It just baffles me that a person can list something for sale looking like that! I mean, at least clean up the junk around it before you snap a pic!

Salvatore Buscemi
03-31-2011, 8:58 AM
It just baffles me that a person can list something for sale looking like that! I mean, at least clean up the junk around it before you snap a pic!
I love it when they do that. I have gotten some of my best deals because of grainy pics, junk covering it, mislabeled, or people that just plain don't know what they are selling.

Sal

Ryan Hellmer
03-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Agreed about the 2 phase part, but in all actuallity, that saw is in pretty good shape compared to many, and the price is pretty fair. I am one who never pays attention to the "puffery" in ads. I like to see the machine "in the flesh" before making any decisions. If the bearings and ways in the machine are serviceable, that could be a great saw (2 phase power issue aside).

Ryan

Matthew Hills
03-31-2011, 10:45 AM
I think he literally means it was maintained in a well, and not used while it was there (probably didn't have the electrical service that others have pondered above)

Matt

Rod Sheridan
03-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Well if I ever go for an online dating situation I'll be sure to refer to myself as "Well maintained". I'm in better shape than that saw, for now anyway.

What exactly is "two phase power" anyway? I've heard of single phase, three phase, but never "2 Phase"? Must work only with that "210V" service?

2 Phase power has a 90 degree phase displacement as opposed to 120 degrees for 3 phase power.

You'll never see a 2 phase system, although it is good for motors since it doesn't need a start winding like single phase motors. (Same for 3 phase of course).

Regards, Rod.

Brian Elfert
04-01-2011, 7:57 AM
I love it when they do that. I have gotten some of my best deals because of grainy pics, junk covering it, mislabeled, or people that just plain don't know what they are selling.

A local museum just got a sculpture for a fraction of the true value because the auction house had the wrong sculptor listed. It appears that nobody but the curator at the local museum figured out who the real sculptor was.

I am currently trying to buy something on Craigslist that shows an error code. A quick Google search shows it as easy to fix, but the seller is almost giving the item away instead of trying to fix it for little or nothing.

Wayne Hendrix
04-01-2011, 10:03 AM

Sal

My brother got a nice Hitachi Coil nailer on ebay for something like $30 because the seller misspelled Hitachi in the posting and my brother just happened to spell it the same when searching. He said he was the only bidder.

Bruce Boone
04-01-2011, 10:10 AM
With a rusty motor, maybe it does pull 210 amps!

mickey cassiba
04-01-2011, 12:08 PM
That's VINTAGE masking tape, Mickey....
Oops...my bad