PDA

View Full Version : Dust Separator

Peter Gavin
01-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Has anyone had experience with the plastic dust separators that are basically lids for garbage cans with an intake and outtake port? The ones I have seen at HF and Amazon have both ports vertical to the top of the can it is mounted on, but I saw one last night where the intake port is parrallel to the rim and slightly downward angled while the exit port is centered and vertical. This seems very similiar to the cycle separators I have see built with a lot of sheet metal bending and sweat. I am having trouble posting a picture so I can't help you there.

Thanks for the advice.

Peter

Ken Salisbury
01-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Peter,

Read this post on how to post pictures:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=132416#post132416

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Marshall Harrison
01-28-2005, 1:08 PM
Peter,

I just bought one today from Woodcraft on sale for $23.99. It has both ports going straight down into the lid but the inlet port has an elbow fitting under the lid to direct the air into a circle creating the cyclone affect. Not sure yet how well it works but it does look like it addresses the issue you are concerned about.

Jim Fancher
01-28-2005, 2:20 PM
Marshall, I'd love to hear how the lid works out for you.

Peter Gavin
01-28-2005, 2:32 PM
Marshall,

I'll also be looking for a review.

Thanks

Peter

Marshall Harrison
01-28-2005, 2:34 PM
OK, a review will be coming but first I have to assemble my new dust collector and get everything installed. Don't have a garbage can for it yet so I may have to go scrounging around the neighborhood looking for one tonight :eek: .

Alfred Hoffmann
01-28-2005, 7:21 PM
I just ordered a JDS 14031 Dust-Force DC and a JET JW 1049 DC separator through Amazon. Free shipping and a $25.00 coupon. It should be here next week. Will let you know how the combination is going to work out.

Alfred Hoffmann

Mike Tempel
01-28-2005, 7:55 PM
Peter,

I just bought one today from Woodcraft on sale for $23.99. It has both ports going straight down into the lid but the inlet port has an elbow fitting under the lid to direct the air into a circle creating the cyclone affect. Not sure yet how well it works but it does look like it addresses the issue you are concerned about.
I have this very one on a steel garbage can between my tools and a Jet DC1100CK. I have to empty the can often but have yet to empty the first bag on my DC. I generally let the can get about 1/2 to 2/3 full then empty so I am not carrying over to the DC bag. I can't see paying about 12 bucks or more for the replacement bags for the DC so I wear a dust mask when emptying the can into a regular trash bag. I have not noticed any loss in vacuum as to where it would affect the abilitly of the collector.

Brian Hale
01-28-2005, 9:16 PM
I've been using the clear lid from Lee Valley for about a year now and i like it a LOT. It's hooked up between the DC and my 15" planer and as long as i don't let it get more than 2/3 full the DC bags stay empty. There should be some loss of suction but it still pulls all the chips from my planer with my 2hp DC.

A word of advice..... Get the lid first and measure it carefully before you by a trashcan. Not all cans have the same diameter top.

Also, when you get the can, pick up some 3/4 or 1" wide (3/8" thick)foam tape to put on the lid so it seals better against the can.

Brian

Larry D. Wagner
01-29-2005, 7:44 AM
Peter

I have the one Marshall describes and it does an excellent job. It fits perfectly on a 32 gallon metal can I purchased from Tractor Supply. While at the Indianapolis WW Show TWC had this type and the fancier looking type with the humps and in & out running horizontally. The fancier one was more expensive, so I ask the sales guy doing the demo's at the DC's and was told the one like Marshall & I have is by far more efficient regardless of price. He even pointed out the one being used on their display. It was the one with in & out going straight down with internal elbow.

Larry :) :) :)

Tom Berninghausen
01-29-2005, 11:34 AM
I got one when I bought the DC, and it worked fine until I got a planer, then I was stopping so often to empty it (and the bags) that I found a better, lazier solution.

Take a look: Shop shot 672 (http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot672.shtml)

This works fine in the current six inch setup, I'm not sure how it would work in a longer piping arrangement. If I'm lucky with a photo, I'll attach it.

Now the lid is in the garden shed and the can holds manure. I'm a gardener in my other life.

Tom