PDA

View Full Version : DW-715 Problem

Karl Juelch
03-30-2011, 2:26 PM
I have a used DeWalt DW-715 compound miter saw that is giving me less than perfect cuts. When doing the fine tuning set up on it, everything appears to be perfectly aligned--zero degrees on the bevel, 90 degrees on the miter, checked with an accurate machinist's square. But when I use the saw, the resulting cut is bellied in the middle.

Please forgive me if I'm not using the right words here--I will try to explain. I make a cross cut on a jointed, perfectly straight board that is 4 inches wide by 1 inch thick. I throw a square on the board to check squareness across the width and each end is just a little less than 1/64 inch out of square--there is a "belly" along the length of the cut--it is arced instead of perfectly straight. Closest word I can think of to describe this is "snipe".

Is this a symptom of something wrong with the blade? The saw is fitted with a 32 tooth ATB DeWalt (the blade that comes stock with this saw). Or could it be something more serious like maybe arbor runout? Or something else I haven't thought of?

Or is this as good as can be expected from this saw? I used to have a 10 inch Makita SCMS that was dead nuts on accurate. Fitted with a thin kerf Freud blade it made glass smooth, perfectly straight, perfectly aligned cuts--was I spoiled by this and expecting too much from the DeWalt?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Karl

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-30-2011, 2:47 PM
I can't explain how anything could lead to that particular 'shape' of a cut, but I will say that the dewalt blade that came with my Dewalt saw (a 718) was total and complete junk. I actually avoided using the saw (a gift from my wife) since I thought it was good only for rough cuts. I think the blade was either bent or terribly unbalanced. or both. On a whim I changed the blade to a Freud blade and it made a world of difference.

Karl Juelch
03-30-2011, 3:05 PM
Hi John,

Thanks for your input. I was thinking about installing a Freud blade too, but I would hate to spend the money on it if the saw is at fault. Did your saw make curved cuts with the DeWalt stock blade?

BOB OLINGER
03-31-2011, 3:38 PM
Hi Karl,

I assume my DeWalt compound miter saw (not a slider) is the same model you're referring to. All I can tell you from my experience is that I put a good Frued blade on and it's terrific. I've been using it last few nights finishing up some oak crown molding in our home. As I cut one of the miters last night I thought to myself - I've had that same Frued blade on for quite some time, cut a lot of red oak, no sharpening, and my miter cuts were great. Given you've checked the saw alignment, I can't help but think you have blade problems.

Karl Juelch
03-31-2011, 6:04 PM
Hey Bob,

Thanks for your reply.

I will try a better blade and see if that helps.

Is your Freud blade a standard, or thin kerf? I was reading some other threads on 12 inch chop saws in general, and some folks say a 12 inch thin kerf is not rigid enough and will make less than perfect cuts.

BOB OLINGER
04-01-2011, 1:10 PM
Karl,

I'll have to check to make sure, but I'm quite sure the blade on my miter saw is a regular kerf, one identified for miter saws. I used mine again last night, great cuts. I'll get the blade model and no. and let you know. I hope you can solve this problem. FYI, I've had good luck with Frued blades. I've not tried the Forrester, but they seem to get a lot of good reports, also.

BOB OLINGER
04-03-2011, 8:12 AM
Karl,

I checked - my saw is a D716, I'm not sure of the difference to D715, but that shouldn't be a concern. I have a Freud regular kerf LU85R012. All I can say is I'm extremely pleased with the nice job it does. Let us know how you progress.