PDA

View Full Version : How to attach Corian or other solid surface to MDF...

Matt Gillam
03-30-2011, 2:10 PM
I know that sounds silly, but I tried good 'ole yellow wood glue, left it clamped for about a week(other projects and I forgot about it) and when I took the clamps off, I couldn't beleive it, but it hadn't stuck; AT ALL!!! Did I do something wrong? I want to use it as a router table, but can't seem to have any luck attaching it. I thought to drill a couple of holes and screw it, but the slightest force from a screw chips it off...Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Matt

Jay Maiers
03-30-2011, 2:54 PM
Did you scuff the glue side of the material?

Silicone, epoxy, contact cement, or spray adhesive would be my choices.
I'm not sure the silicone or epoxy will work, but they're probaby where I would start. With contact or spray adhesive, you have exactly one chance to get it right...

Maybe some super thin double stick tape would also work. THe stuff made for adhering drawing board mats comes to mind.

Myk Rian
03-30-2011, 2:59 PM
Silicone RTV perhaps?

Jamie Buxton
03-30-2011, 3:07 PM
Construction adhesive.

Tad Capar
03-30-2011, 10:13 PM
I had good results adhering solid surface (corian as well) to plywood using "roo glue". I think it should work on MDF just scuff both surfaces with rough sandpaper.

Belinda Barfield
03-31-2011, 8:33 AM
We use 3M Scotchweld 1357 contact adhesive to adhere Corian to substrates. Since you probably don't have a five gallon container of that on hand, another contact adhesive would probably work.

Bill Edwards(2)
03-31-2011, 8:47 AM
Construction adhesive.

+1 When Duct tape is a "no go", Liquid Nails!

Mike Wilkins
03-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Scuff the surfaces to be glued and use one of the polyurethane adhesives. Don't forget to moisten one of the surfaces. I glued some Corian to melamine and it worked well.