PDA

View Full Version : gast air assist

Linda Tetreault
03-30-2011, 1:00 PM
Question of the day,

I have a gast compressor, it's not putting out enough pressure to have an effect on air assist. I have taken the top off , down about 3 layers & don't see a way to go any further. Can these be cleaned out or do they need to be, the unit is about 5 years old with very little use, or does it just need to be laid to rest?:confused:

Doug Griffith
03-30-2011, 1:06 PM
I have an Epilog Mini 45 as well. There was an issue a while back where my air assist was losing pressure. It turned out to be a loose solenoid on the laser. Probably from vibration and tightening it solved the problem. The solenoid is at the right rear of the machine where the air hose enters it. A very easy fix

Mike Null
03-30-2011, 2:34 PM
Linda

Gast is really good equipment. Call their tech support and they'll help you out.

John Noell
03-30-2011, 2:56 PM
Did you check that the inlet filter is not clogged?

andrew zen
04-01-2011, 2:34 PM
You are not going to like my method of air assist debugging, but I will list it.

I am a romantic guy. Kissing is an art.

So I remove the hose from the Gast compressor using the push connector. I push in and pull the hose and then I turn on the Gast while kissing the push connector. If my cheeks start inflating, the Gast is not the problem.

I have had air leaks in the system before.

Troubleshooting the leaks involves finding the solenoid, the solenoid is a valve that plugs the hose to the Gast when the air assist is not needed. It is plugged by default in some models. So when you blow on the hose at the Gast, air should not pass.

Sometimes the connectors near the solenoid start to leak or the solenod doesn't open completely or at all.

Replacing the solenoid is basically needed after you have determined that air flows through the tubes on both sides of the solenoid with no leaks and the Gast is good.

Tubes are usually pretty reliable, but where the tube plugs in can sometimes be pulled.
Listen for hisses when you are running a job with air assist on to find a potential leak.
Listen like those zookeepers at the Bronx zoo did for the Cobra, but you need not carry anti-venom.

Put a little split on your finger and then put on the places where hoses (coiled or not coiled) connect to a metal thingy. Look for bubbles. If you find the leak push the hose a little deeper onto the thingy. Make a mental note.

But first you have to kiss the Gast :)