PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi CB 75F - Motor upgrade?

Nate Boris
03-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Alright CB 75 owners, what motor have you used for upgrading the universal motor. Yes, I have heard people going 5 hp but that just seems overkill. I want to hear from everyone as I have kicked this thing to death in my head and need your feedback to get it done. Please help.

Nate

Larry Edgerton
03-30-2011, 6:54 PM
I had one of those and it was a great tool. First thing I did wass fabricate a mount and get rid of that obnoxious gear reduction universal motor. I hated the noise, it worked fine but drove me nuts.

As I said, that is a gear reduction motor, so the motor RPM is misleading. I think it says in the literature what the reduction ratio is, but it would not be too hard to figure out. I figured out what it needed and put a 5hp Baldor TEFC on it. I used it for heavy resawing and the 5hp was necessary in my opinion. More power, ugh, ugh, ugh!

It will make the saw a lot more pleasant to live with. I wore it out and bought a Delta 20", but it does not resaw as good as the Hitachi with a 2" blade setup.

Larry

Chip Lindley
03-31-2011, 4:13 AM
Hi Nate! I have a Makita 2116 Resaw which is close to your Hitachi CB75F. A 2hp TEFC 1725 rpm Dayton farm-duty motor seems to be plenty for resawing. That's lots of power for a 16" bandsaw and Light-Years ahead of the 110v universal motor that Hitachi, Makita and Ryobi equipped their otherwise sturdy resaws. What were they thinking??

Nate Boris
03-31-2011, 9:01 PM
Thanks Chip ande Larry. A 1725 rpm motor is what I need and still keeps me at near original design blade speed. The thing that gets me is the 15 amps at 115V. I know the gear reducer is eating up horspower too. I just don't think this saw sees more than 1.25 - 1.5 hp at the blade at any time, and that may be generous. There is a big jump from a 2 hp to 3 hp at 1725 rpm in both frame size and weight plus the larger shaft size require more costly pulleys. I was hoping to go with a 2 hp capictor start and then add a small run capacitor to the starting coils to beef up the hp/efficiency if needed. I do have an older 3 hp odp (but it needs attention).

Anyone else??
Nate

Larry Edgerton
04-01-2011, 7:38 PM
Run what you brung......

If you have a motor try it. I was resawing hardwoods all day long. The saw will take the HP if thats what you are worried about, I never had a problem. I had a 5hp laying around that was the right speed, so thats what I used. If I had been buying new I would have been cheap and gone with a 2 or 3hp. Make your mount big enough for a big motor, and bolt on what you have.

Paul Gard
10-20-2011, 6:34 PM
I figured out what it needed and put a 5hp Baldor TEFC on it. I used it for heavy resawing and the 5hp was necessary in my opinion.

I'm looking at a rebuilt CB100F with a 3 phase motor and wonder how difficult / costly it would be change over to a single phase 5hp. I don't really want to deal with the phase converter solution.

Larry is your Baldor a single phase? What else might I need to know before getting more serious about this CB100F??

THANKS

Paul