PDA

View Full Version : Boeshield vs. Camelia Oil

Bobby O'Neal
03-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Is one better than the other for general rust prevention?

Gary Hodgin
03-30-2011, 1:17 PM
I use both and haven't had any major problems. I use Boeshield T-9 on machinery (table saw, band saw, jointer, planer) for long term protection and paste wax for short term protection and ease of use. I use Camelia Oil on planes and chisels. I keep my planes in plane socks and chisels in chisel rolls stored in a cabinet. All are housed in a unheated/unairconditioned garage. I don't live very far from you (M'boro), but temperatures range from about the high 20s in the winter to low 90s in the summer in my garage.

Michael Peet
03-30-2011, 5:14 PM
I also use both, in the same manner as Gary. Mine are in a basement shop though, so they don't see the environmental extremes.

Mike

Matt Kestenbaum
03-30-2011, 5:57 PM
I have used the T-9 on my hand tools as well as machines and I find it works just fine. Its not that I have any preference -- I had a small sample vial of camelia oil from a show a couple of years ago and it was fine-- I just haven't place an order with LN or TWW in a while and the camelia or jojoba oil is too small an item to make a special order. I will say that one hand tool that I need to make sure is well oiled is my LV medium shoulder plane...the iron really seems to get the worst from my hands...the T9 really flows into the nooks and crannies efficiently and any excess wipes down easily too. In my basement I can get some moisture going in the summer and i use T9 followed by paste wax every months or so, more if running a lot of bd ft.

Bill White
03-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Never used either. I keep all my stuff maintained with paste wax. Works well for me, and living in Mississippi can be a lesson on humidity control.
Bill

Jonathan Spool
03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Does either leave any residue on the wood that would interfere with finishes?

Kent A Bathurst
03-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Nope on the Camellia oil - it's on my handplanes, HCM chisels, bench chisels..........don't think so on the T9 - I've used it on the TS + BS, but those surfaces always get sanded proir to finish, so can't speak from personal experience.

Gary Hodgin
03-31-2011, 1:26 PM
I've never had a problem but, like Kent, I lightly sand before finishing.

Gary Curtis
03-31-2011, 1:53 PM
Boeshield comes from the world of Aviation. Named after the Boeing Company. The components on a plane flying at altitude get cold-soaked. Frozen at temperatures well below 0 degrees. Upon landing, moisture in the area is attracted. It is staggering to see how wet a wing or landing gear can become. So Boeshield was engineered to combat those conditions, and to lubricate at the same time. It even has a military spec number assigned to it. Those folks subject products to tests a lot stricter than Fine Woodworking does.

It is the lubricant of choice on bicycles as well.