PDA

View Full Version : PM90 at a Local School Auction - Good Deal or Not?

Brent Ring
03-30-2011, 11:12 AM

Hi,

I found this PM90 at a local school auction. The auction does not end until the end of April and while there are no bids currently, the reserve for the auction is at $250.00. Their description is:

Powermatic Model 90 wood lathe, 208 Volt, 3 phase,retrofited with magnetic switch. Ball bearing dead center, live center, 3" and 6" faceplate included. Good condition with one exception, the variable speed roller pin is broken and needs to be replaced.

Condition: FAIR

Pics are attached. I do not have 3-phase power and would need to convert or change the motor. Also, how much is the variable speed roller pin - approximately? And, is it worth bidding on?

Gene Hintze
03-30-2011, 11:41 AM
That is a lot of iron for $250. If you can get it for $250 you could probably turn around and sell it on CL or e-bay for at least $750. How come none of these good deals are in my neck of the woods?

Dan Hintz
03-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Contact Mike Cruz... I helped him pick one of those up at auction last year for about $300. He put another $1k in for new rests, VFD, paint, etc. and has a very fine machine, but none of that was absolutely necessary.

Steve Vaughan
03-30-2011, 1:40 PM
If I had a shot at something like that, I'd jump in a heartbeat. Got a nice lathe already, but I love old, and then to fix that bad boy up? Way cool!

Jon Prouty
03-30-2011, 1:57 PM
I would jump on it to about $400 or so. Any more than that, figuring in a VFD and refurbing I would probably start looking at a new Jet1642. Just my opinion... howevre an older PM 90 like that is class.

Jon

Dan Hintz
03-30-2011, 4:49 PM
I think I would compare this machine to a PM3250, not a Jet 1642... way more "beef" to the 3250, same with this PM90.

Mike Cruz
03-31-2011, 12:00 AM
Brent, sorry, I just found this thread. I've been away on a ski racing trip in CO...

Anyway, the one I picked up was $300. It NEEDED (in my opinion) sandblasting and repainting because it was rusted (from being outside). It was three phase, so I either needed to swap out the motor for a single phase, or get a converter. The first option was not the best in my opinion because it left the slowest speed to be around 330 rpm. Too fast for out of balance blanks in my opinion. You'll see that phrase a lot because it is that, my opinion, not fact. I not only got a phase converter, but got a VFD phase converter. That meant that I could not only manually control the lathe's speed from its top speed to the 330 rpms, but also electronically down below the 330 to 1 rpm if I wanted. Other than that, I didn't NEED to do anything to it. But that didn't stop me... I upgraded the motor to 2 hp. Put 3" risers on it, had to get a new banjo and tool rests. The risers meant that I had to make (from wood) a taller belt cover. Added a potentiometer (dial for speed control) and a reverse switch, too.

Bottom line, if you don't plan to pimp the lathe out, but just want to get it up and running, your costs will include a VFD for about $150 and the cost of the lathe. There are threads here and on OWWM.com that address the part that you reference that needs replacing. Mine didn't need it.

If you haven't already, go to my profile and look at threads started. You can find my threads about my PM90.

It is a great lathe. Just figure out what your top dollar out of pocket is. Deduct the VFD (invaluable in my opinion), the cost of the replacement part, and that will give you your top bid price. With the $1200 or so I have in my lathe, I know that it is worth way more now. Of course, the risers and motor upgrade are a big reason... But a single phase PM90 in good condition will fetch about $700-800 on Ebay. A 3 phase with VFD a little more (for those that understand what the VFD adds). So, unless you plan to somehow get risers, don't overprice yourself on this lathe. Meaning don't spend a total of over $900 to bring it back to factory condition.

Roy Turbett
04-10-2011, 11:46 PM
The lathe in the picture is a 1979 PM 90 which is the newer jackshaft style with the motor mounted in the cabinet. I have a 1980 and a 1981 in my shop and love em. I raised the head and tailstock on one of the lathes to turn larger stock.

The v/s roller pin is available through Powermatic, new replacement part number 3582136, for $20. You will also need a v/s roller bearing, part number 5200ZZ, available through Accurate Bearing Company, 800 323-6548, for $19.50.

Chances are the spindle bearings (2) will also need to be replaced, bearing numbers 88507 and 88508, also available through Accurate Bearing for $17.70 and $24.00. There are also two bearings on the reeves drive that may also need replacing.

VFD's start at around $100. Both my machines are 1hp single phase so I don't need one.

John Keeton
04-11-2011, 7:03 AM
Hey Roy, welcome to the creek!!!

Mike Cruz
04-11-2011, 8:19 AM
Hi, Roy, welcome to the Creek. And as a fellow 1981 PM90 owner that put risers on his lathe, I'd love to see yours. Care to share some pics of her?

Roy Turbett
04-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Mike - Thanks for the welcome. I've been taking some photos of my latest restoration and will be posting them at OWWM once I figure out how to use the photo bucket. I followed your thread and borrowed some of your ideas. I couldn't afford those nice aluminum riser blocks like yours so I made mine of three pieces of leftover 1 1/8" thick industrial particle board that I glued together and added formica to. I cut dados in the glue-ups and added 2 1/2" wide steel plates to ride between the ways. I'm in the process of making up a gap bed filler out of steel. Just waiting on a friend to do some welding for me. The filler will have four leveling screws similar to those on a table saw or router table and then be bolted to the bed.

Dan Hintz
04-13-2011, 6:13 AM
I couldn't afford those nice aluminum riser blocks like yours so I made mine of three pieces of leftover 1 1/8" thick industrial particle board that I glued together and added formica to.
That's okay, Mike has some wood built into his monster, too :)

Harry Robinette
04-13-2011, 9:07 AM
Roy
Wecome to the creek.and let the Vortex take you.

Bernie Weishapl
04-13-2011, 9:57 AM
Welcome to SMC Roy. Jump right in and have some fun.

Mike Cruz
04-13-2011, 11:03 PM
Roy, I got struck a gold mine with my risers. They are actually steel. And Jeff didn't charge an arm and a leg, either. But how you did yours sounds pretty darn sturdy. Still would like to see the pics when you get a chance...

Roy Turbett
04-16-2011, 2:06 AM
Mike -

I finally got around to posting my latest PM90 rebuild at OWWM. For some reason a photo of the lathe is too big to post here.

Roy

Dan Hintz
04-16-2011, 9:41 AM
Keep photos to less than screen width saved as a jpeg and you'll likely be fine... no one likes to scroll just to see 1/10th of the picture.

Mike Cruz
04-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Roy, I saw your thread on OWWM. Great account of the restoration and fixing things. Thanks for doing it.

Brent Ring
04-19-2011, 3:39 PM
Well,

I am still watching the auction. Another week or so and I will know. Roy, Thanks for all the information. It will be very helpful. I just tried my hand at a roughing of a bowl on my little shop fox and what fun turning wet wood.

Will keep you all posted.

Brent

Mike Cruz
04-19-2011, 3:53 PM
Good luck, Brent. Bottom line is that the PM90 is a great old lathe. Overkill at 12" in my opinion. Built and meant to be an 18"er. When Powermatic made risers for the lathe, they made it to be a 21" lathe. That might be/may have been a little much...hence why they stopped making them. Maybe because it was a little bit too much of a riser...not sure.

Brent Ring
04-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Well, The auction was scheduled to end tomorrow, but it has apparently gotten a little more public, because the bids are now out and above what I have available for extra cash. So someone else will have to enjoy that PM90. No biggie. My G0623X shows up on Wed, and I will have plenty to do.

I will just keep my eyes and ears open for another opportunity like this going forward.