PDA

View Full Version : Lightning "On" A Bottle

Dick Wilson
03-30-2011, 9:57 AM
Something very different for me. The story: A highly figured Maple bottle air brushed multi-colored dye with 3 legs. Someone knocked it off my display shelf at an art show. I watched in horror as it bounced like a golf ball across the blacktop. The legs were mangled with many deep gouges and scratches. And the top was broken off.:eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad: I sucked it up and carried on.:(:( It has been on my bench since last summer while I tried to figure out how to "fix" it. I just couldn't figure out how to fix the gouges and make everything disappear. I have been experimenting with airbrushing paint. The idea came to me.:D I turned a pedestal, filled in the scratches and gouges, glued the top back on, and sanded it down on the lathe to remove the wax and finish. I attached the pedestal and shot primer and several coats of black. I airbrushed lightning after watching Ed Hobbs video on YouTube. IMHO I have a long way to go. End of Story.

Sorry about photo, I have no idea where the brown spot came from. A help on correcting the spots would be greatly appreciated.

Comments and critique welcome as always.

Air brushers please give me some tips.

Robert McGowen
03-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Looks like a save! The airbrushing certainly grabs your attention.

David Reed
03-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Very disheartening to watch the bouncing hollow form indeed but you made for a terrific save. I have never used and airbrush and respect those who can make it work so well. I like the overall shape but not sure yet what I think of the pedestal.
I suspect the brown spot may be the reflection of a light bulb (incandescent).

Roland Martin
03-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Nice job patching that up, looks like it may have been originally planned. Nice save.

Dick Wilson
03-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Very disheartening to watch the bouncing hollow form indeed but you made for a terrific save. I have never used and airbrush and respect those who can make it work so well. I like the overall shape but not sure yet what I think of the pedestal.
I suspect the brown spot may be the reflection of a light bulb (incandescent).

Thanks David, I ran out of ideas on the pedestal. If I come up with "The Pedestal" I can always change it. We had a professional photographer at our last turning meeting. He showed us how to make an easy photo booth using window shades for the backdrop and what lights to use. Haven't gotten around to it but hopefully the pics will turn out a lot better.

John Keeton
03-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Dick, I kind of like the "save" minus the pedestal. The form would have stood well on its own, and the airbrush work is "striking!!";):D

Roger Chandler
03-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Great save, Dick!

Dan Forman
03-30-2011, 2:40 PM
Love the concept - great save!

Dan