PDA

View Full Version : Corel Help Needed - 1/8" Around Shape

Ed Maloney
03-30-2011, 8:04 AM
Hi folks - A customer wants a cut out of Africa with a 1/8" border. What I mean is that they want 2 vector cuts; 1 on the outside and one inside resulting in a 1/8" border with the middle cut out.

Given the shape of it, I'll be darned if I can figure out how to do this. I thought it would be a simple case of copy/paste and resize. Any hints?

Ed

Dan Hintz
03-30-2011, 8:08 AM
Use the contour tool... run once for the inside, once for the outside. Be aware... X5 may have a bug with the outside contour (DAMHIKT).

Scott Shepherd
03-30-2011, 8:18 AM
I can't see the file because I don't have X5, but I've done a couple of projects like that. You almost always have to node edit points after you do the offset path, as corel doesn't do very well with the small spaces. Illustrator does MUCH better at that particular task. Corel seems to choke when it hits areas smaller than the offset and it will produce unpredictable results in those areas. You'll have to clean those areas up manually.

Ed Maloney
03-30-2011, 4:23 PM
I took the lazy way out. I made the outline 1/8" and then exported it to a jpg, then imported the file and traced.

Dan Hintz
03-30-2011, 4:38 PM
That's the lazy way? I thought contour was... one button click...

Ed Maloney
03-30-2011, 4:47 PM
I never used the tool, so I took the long way around the barn. Now that I was able to send the artwork to the customer, I will definitely check out the tool now though.

Thanks!

Guy Hilliard
03-30-2011, 7:57 PM
Or...

Take the outline and change it's thickness to the thickness that you require (0.125") and then convert outline to object. Bob's yer uncle.

Dee Gallo
03-30-2011, 8:46 PM
Or...

Take the outline and change it's thickness to the thickness that you require (0.125") and then convert outline to object. Bob's yer uncle.

Yep, that's I would do. And Bob's yer uncle, cool!

John Noell
03-31-2011, 12:50 AM
"convert outline to object"? Is that an X5 thing? Never heard of it. ???

Andrea Weissenseel
03-31-2011, 1:48 AM
Corel 11 has it. I've seen it when opening the menu, never used it yet - seems neat though, have to keep that in mind. I use the contour tool for these cases, cleanup is easily made.

Mike Null
03-31-2011, 4:23 AM
I used the contour tool but couldn't make it work inside and outside as Dan suggested. Mine seems to work one way or the other.

George M. Perzel
03-31-2011, 8:00 AM
Hey Guy/Dee;
Great idea! Thanks-better than the contour tool.
Best Regards;
George
Laserarts

Chuck Stone
03-31-2011, 8:38 AM
That's the kind of thing I would have done the long way, too.
In photoshop, I'd select the outline, then Select > Modify > Expand xx pixels,
fill with color, then save and Import in Corel and Trace.
Might be the long way, but it is much faster than trying to figure out Corel!

Bob must be a step-uncle

John Noell
03-31-2011, 3:12 PM
I have used the contour for inside and outside hundreds of times but NOW I see the 'convert outline to object' (on the ARRANGE menu for those who do not want to waste time looking for it). Hmmm, always more than one way to skin the cat.

Scott Challoner
03-31-2011, 3:39 PM
Convert outline to object. Excellent tip. I already found a use for it today. Thanks.