PDA

View Full Version : Early bowl??

David Reed
03-30-2011, 12:33 AM
I'm feeling a little out of the loop here since I haven't turned anything lately. Drove over for a visit with my Mother today and came across one of my early turnings I had given to her and snapped a few pics. Don't even remember exactly when I made it and it isn't dated.
This was a chunk of wood I nearly tossed but on a whim thought I would give it a whirl. Naturally, BLM burl, wiped on water base poly; preserved the natural color extremely well.
Kind of messed up the natural edge due to lack of planning and generally a crummy foot. Quite a few tool marks on the inside but the outside finished up OK.
It certainly is not my best work, but was fun to turn and you must know how I enjoy turning air.
About ten inch diameter, five high and kind of heavy at 3/16-1/4 inch wall thickness but needed that to hold it together.

Tim Thiebaut
03-30-2011, 12:39 AM
I think this is pretty cool David, as soon as I saw this and before I even had a chance to read anything about it I had this picture in my head of a Dino egg that had just hatched, this reminds me of that, very nice.

Donny Lawson
03-30-2011, 6:58 AM
That's a great looking bowl. Glad you didn't toss it out. I love to see ones turn out like that.

John Keeton
03-30-2011, 6:59 AM
David, you did a fantastic job of holding this one together - lot of fragile looking areas there. This piece has a very smooth "movement" to it - reminds me of a swelling wave that is rising above the surf in front of it. Nice piece, and I kind of like the natural color on this one - though, BLM is really such a candidate for dyes!

Fred Perreault
03-30-2011, 7:21 AM
David, the item has a great deal of character, and seems to produce immediate mental images for the viewer. Hatched egg, wave form, courageous turner.... leaky bowl.....:cool::)

Russell Eaton
03-30-2011, 7:24 AM
That has a lot of air to turn. Very nice, thanks for showing.

Roland Martin
03-30-2011, 7:27 AM
"Early Air"?? Holding a couple of those areas together must have been quite a challenge, for sure! Very nice turning.

Jim Burr
03-30-2011, 8:00 AM
Think one of my early turnings was a pen:p. This one sure is beautiful! Like John, I'm getting a wave impression...maybe it was the water poly?:rolleyes:. Glad it held together for you David!

Steve Schlumpf
03-30-2011, 9:47 AM
Pretty cool bowl David! At the very least - this is a great conversation piece because of all the images it evokes!

Good looking wood and you did a great job of keeping it together! The fact that your Mother has this out and on display tells me how much she enjoys it!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

David Reed
03-30-2011, 11:16 AM
I think this is pretty cool David, as soon as I saw this and before I even had a chance to read anything about it I had this picture in my head of a Dino egg that had just hatched, this reminds me of that, very nice.

I like the Dino egg image. It really fits.

David, you did a fantastic job of holding this one together - lot of fragile looking areas there. This piece has a very smooth "movement" to it - reminds me of a swelling wave that is rising above the surf in front of it. Nice piece, and I kind of like the natural color on this one - though, BLM is really such a candidate for dyes!

I was not at all pleased with the finish when first applied but with a little patina and getting used to, I have grown to like it. Just too afraid to dye one of these pieces thinking of the porosity and uneven dye retention - guess I will just have to bite the bullet and break out the Rit one of these days.

David, the item has a great deal of character, and seems to produce immediate mental images for the viewer. Hatched egg, wave form, courageous turner.... leaky bowl.....:cool::)

Yes Fred, Leaky bowl was my first and pretty much only thought.

Pretty cool bowl David! At the very least - this is a great conversation piece because of all the images it evokes!

Good looking wood and you did a great job of keeping it together! The fact that your Mother has this out and on display tells me how much she enjoys it!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

I have tried to pry it away so that I could fix some of the beginner's problems but she won't let it out of her sight. I really need to at least clean up the tool marks inside. I would also like to try my hand at enhancing the machined edge, trying to give the appearance of a well cared for natural edge. Perhaps I can spirit it away next time she goes out of town.

Thanks for the comments

Mark Hubl
03-30-2011, 5:17 PM
Awfully nice early piece. That piece would have scarred me early on, heck it does now. Great work.

Baxter Smith
03-30-2011, 9:45 PM
That is an impressive looking piece. I have to second the dino egg thought!