PDA

View Full Version : a brillant new way to crash a bowl

robert baccus
03-30-2011, 12:08 AM
I recently purchased a fine 8x3 piece of quilted maple. nice and dry...turned all one day on it and it was so fine i sanded for hours to get out every little tear ect. absolutely bueatiful. a sw closed forn with a 1&1/2 " hole. turned it down real thin for me(1/8). decided to play with thinned dyes which really bring out the wobble. thought i would be smart and dye the inside first so i would not screw it up later-----leaked through the pores and looked like freckles on the outside. i am trying 2 part bleach but i have little hope............i want to fall on my gouge--------ol forester:mad:

Tim Thiebaut
03-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Man I am sorry to hear this, as many here have said maybe this will present a design opertunity for you, even though it isnt exactly what you wanted it to be. There are a few people here that do a fair amount of dyeing, maybe they will have something to offer that will help you out, hope you get it figured out I know how frustrating things can be when it dosnt go right.

David Reed
03-30-2011, 1:06 AM
willing to share any pics of the disaster?
Sleep on it before you 'fall on your gouge'

Mark Hubl
03-30-2011, 1:52 AM
Sorry to hear about your mishap. Dyes and ink can be lots o fun. Might have to dye the outside now. Sanding it back may yield something interesting. I am sure that "Dye Master Steve" will have a suggestion or two. He has probably tried every trick!

John Keeton
03-30-2011, 6:55 AM
Sanding back at this point is not going to help much. Dye application on the inside of a thin piece will produce this result nearly everytime - more in some woods than others. Unless you intend on dyeing the entire piece the same color, best to use acrylic paint on the inside, or gesso. I would dye the outside the same color and attempt to blend in the freckles. If they are not really dark, that should work. Then you could do the inside black with acrylic, or some other contrast to make the outside "pop" more.

Just a thought...!

bob svoboda
03-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Sorry to hear that. I learned the same lesson the hard way with an English Walnut bowl.

Peter Fabricius
03-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Sorry to hear about the seeping through. At first I thought you intended to dye the outside as well, but.....
I have seen the same thing with Tung Oil, on the latest two pieces of very thin walnut HF and vase the oil definately came right out through the pores especially on the end grain. No problem since the whole piece was to be soaked in oil anyway.
Design opportunity, looking forward to seeing your final results.
Peter F.

David DeCristoforo
03-30-2011, 1:08 PM
Ahh yes... the old "dye seeping through the wood" bit. I would venture to guess that every one of us who have forayed into the dyed wood realm have made this discovery and I would further venture to guess that, in every case, the realization came about one half second too late! A real "smacks self in head" moment!

Dick Wilson
03-30-2011, 1:18 PM
"OH MY GOD, MY BOWL IS BLEEDING"!!! :eek::eek: Does that about capture your panic? Well, you have a little more work cut out for yourself. Here is what I would do if it were me. Been there, done that. You will NEVER get the dye out of the outside. The only thing you can do is dye the outside the same color. It may take more than one coat of dye to get rid of the spots. After the dye is uniform on the outside sand back to "bare wood" on selected areas of highly figured fibers. Use another colored dye. Sand back again and use a third color and so forth until you get a nice multi-colored look. You can use just one color if you prefer or multi-color. Whichever you prefer, other than we Creekers will never know your OOPS moment if you don't tell them.:D:D:D:D

Steve Vaughan
03-30-2011, 1:38 PM
...Or, maybe you could take the interior color dye and - I'm phishing here - dip an old toothbrush into it and "spatter" freckles all over it in some sort of pattern that looks like you planned it. Then, after a fine sanding, use a nice contrasting color dye (or maybe none?) and dye the outside. Create a unique piece that folks would really like more than you think. Would love to see the pics, cause, you know what they say and I guess it would be true here too - no pics, didn't really happen.;)

robert baccus
03-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the ideas. i think i should have fallen on my gouge----next morning i sanded and sanded ect. and finally got rid of 90% of the freckles. ya-hoo--------------and then for some dumb reason decided to give it a good high rpm 500 grit sanding. you guessed it----the spin produced a new crop of black freckles. where is my gouge!!!----------------old forester

Dennis Barley
03-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Hi, Robert:
Our club had a demo by Chris Pytlick last month during which he used the bleed-through tendencies of a thinly turned piece to enhance the dying effects. His work is just spectacular. Here's a link to our newletter:

http://www.bayareawoodturners.org/newsletters/Newsletter_03_11.pdf

Dennis

Dick Wilson
03-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi, Robert:
Our club had a demo by Chris Pytlick last month during which he used the bleed-through tendencies of a thinly turned piece to enhance the dying effects. His work is just spectacular. Here's a link to our newletter:

http://www.bayareawoodturners.org/newsletters/Newsletter_03_11.pdf

Dennis

Dennis, I am the newsletter editor for our guild. You bay guys have a heck of a newsletter. I am looking at different newsletter formats to design our own. Holy Cow!! I would have to cut my turning time in half to publish one like yours:(:(:(:(:(

Dennis Barley
03-31-2011, 7:20 PM
Hi, Dick:
Yep, Bob Saxby does a wonderful job on the newsletter. Our club is also loaded with brilliant turners who make me feel like a rank beginner. And I've been turning for about 10 years.

Dennis

Jeff Myroup
03-31-2011, 8:01 PM
I was also going to mention Chris Pytlick. Joe Landon does a lot of dye work too. If you dye the outside you might be surprised at the results. Don't look at it as a loss, have fun with it.

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2011, 8:28 PM
Robert - you didn't say what you used for a dye. Depending on what it is - you may be able to reactivate it and dilute it to the point it is no longer a problem. I have had similar things happen when dying my HFs but I dye inside and out - so it all blends in. Sanding everything back reveals the curl - even more so if you add another color or 2!

robert baccus
03-31-2011, 11:20 PM
Steve, i wasusing thinned behlen solarlus dye --obviously made to ooze through anything. but th sun did come up this a.m. and i sanded 95% of the dye off. ps it was black dye. retarder and alcahol did not remove the stuff but my 80 grit gouge did a good job. might make a bowl of it yet.-----------old forester

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2011, 11:26 PM
OK, I was curious because I mix all my dye with denatured alcohol and have had luck going back with a cloth dampened with DNA to fade an area of dye. With a black dye inside - have you considered using a black on the outside and then sanding most of it off? Would make the curl pop like you wouldn't believe!

Whatever you end up doing - I am looking forward to seeing the bowl!