PDA

View Full Version : Chisel hoop material opinions?

Paul Erickson
03-29-2011, 8:28 PM
I have some chisel handles to make, and while most of them are for paring chisels, some of them, such as my corner chisel will be pounded with mallets (not hammers obviously) and I am wondering what material I should use for the hoops. I have seen copper, brass and steel used. I understand that steel would be more durable, but copper and brass would be easier to work. I don't expect to be abusing them, so wonder if copper would be strong enough, or will coppers' elasticity cause me problems in the long run. Anyone have any experience with different materials, good or bad which might help with my choice?

Thanks in advance.

cheers, Paul

John Toigo
03-29-2011, 9:32 PM
I prefer a steel ferrule for that application. It's really not hard to work. I use black iron pipe from the local hardware store. I cut a piece whatever length I want making sure to cut it square. I've used a variety of methods to cut it but cutting it square saves work later. I run it on the grinder till it's all bright & all the pits are out and I round one edge at the grinder. I mount it on the handle while it's on the lathe & then file it while it spins. I go from file to emery paper (or sand paper) to steel wool & then final polish on the buffer. Pretty straightforward really. Here's a sample:

or two....

Pam Niedermayer
03-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Not to discourage you from making these, but they are available for sale, at least for Japanese chisels, from Hida (hidatool.com to woodworking to chisels and go down the page).

Pam

george wilson
03-29-2011, 10:17 PM
You could saw off some electrical conduit pipe. Polish off the zinc plating. About 1/16" thick walls.

Johnny Kleso
03-30-2011, 12:44 AM
You can buy brass pipe at ebay cheap and cut it with a tubing cutter or just buy bronze bearings from places like MSC and have a good wall thickness..

Mike Henderson
03-30-2011, 1:17 AM
You really don't need hoops on chisels unless you're going to use a metal hammer on them. I have chisels that I've used a wooden mallet on for a long time and the chisel handles are fine. Additionally, hoops are uncomfortable in my hand when using the chisel without a mallet.

Mike

[Added note: chisel handles are so easy to turn that if you ever did do some serious damage to a handle, it would be quick and easy to simply replace the handle.]

Paul Erickson
03-30-2011, 8:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I went with copper this time, and will see how it holds up over time. Will try some mild steel when I have the means of easily cutting it square.

cheers, Paul