PDA

View Full Version : New Corian Sign

Lynn Kull
01-27-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi all, thought I would post a picture of a late Christmas gift for our Daycare Lady. I made her a corian sign for her business. This is only the third Corian sign I have made. I thought I could drill and screw in a couple of eye screws in the top for hanging, but found the corian to brittle and wanted to chip when screwing in the eye hooks. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and if they got around it? thanks Lynn

Keith Outten
01-28-2005, 8:25 AM
Lynn,

You might try using a machine thread instead of a wood thread. Drill and tap the Corian and you should see much better results. If you are concerned you can then drill and insert a roll pin from the back side into the bolt. Corian machines really nice but will not expand like wood does around a screw thread. Another option would be to drill your holes and use an eye screw with the treads removed, just use the smooth shank then drill the back side for the roll pin. Use stainless steel if the sign is for exterior use.

John Pollman
01-28-2005, 9:06 AM
Nice sign !

I've never actually worked with Corian but I'm familiar with it. Maybe just drill some maybe 1/2" holes in the back with a forstner bit and plug them with a hardwood dowel. Cut the dowel and epoxy it in place. When the epoxy is cured, you cand just sand it off flush. Then you could just screw the eye into the dowels. Just an idea.

Again, nice work !

John

Keith Outten
01-28-2005, 12:42 PM
John,

For flat mounting I use a keyhole router bit and make one or two keyholes the same as you would with wood. Corian routes really nice but you have to be more carefull when setting the depth of your router bit since it is 1/2" thick.

John Pollman
01-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Good idea,

I never thought about a keyhole. That would work fine I bet. You're right, I forgaot about the material only being 1/2" thick. I was thinking it was 3/4.

Ken Dolph
02-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Information from the package, "How to Work With Corian in the Home Workshop":

If you would like to use sheet metal type screws, use a pilot drill one index hole smaller than the screw will fall into.

Though you can drill and tap for machine screws, it is strongest to use helicoils in Corian. This makes the strongest mechanical joint for Corian.

I hope this helps

Ken

Contact me for a free copy of the package.

Lynn Kull
02-02-2005, 1:27 AM
Thanks for the corian advise guys. Can someone describe what a helicoil is for me. This particular sign was double sided with the same image on both sides. I ended up drilling holes thru the sign and inserting brass coated hangers. thanks Lynn

Ken Dolph
02-02-2005, 8:43 AM
A helicoil looks like a spring. They are often used by mechanics to rethread stripped bolt holes. They are availible at most good auto part stores. Sometimes they will have clones as Helicoil is a brand name. They are used in industry to give soft materials an ability to hold machine threads. The common machine screw applies 90% of its force to the first thread. The Helicoil balances the force applying it more evenly across all threads. This reduces stripping.

Helicoils come in kits. You buy them by the size screw you wish to use. The kit contains the proper size drill, a tap, and an installation tool. You drill and tap your piece then scres in this spring like thing. If it is a through hole you break offthe installation tab. They are not cheap but in Corian they are the only way to go. Brass inserts are useless.

I hope this helps
Ken