PDA

View Full Version : Need help on Epilog Legend 24EX 60 watt Laser Machine

Gary Isaksen
03-29-2011, 7:14 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and I'm in need of assistance. My Epilog Laser went out so I ordered a new one from manufacturer. I also got new lenses. I replaced the laser tube and the lenses and aligned the machine manually. I got the aligned burn in 4 corners of the machine to the center of the lens. Alright time to cut...

I start by cutting acrylic square 1 inch by 1 inch and 1/8th deep. and set the speed to 35 power to 100 and freq to 5000.

The laser doe not even shoot, nothing cuts. I then run the machine 6 times to finally get some power from the laser and its weak. I have to run my projects at very slow speed and full power in order for it to cut.

I tried to raster and it only rasters at 10 speed and 100 power.... and when it does the cut seems jaggedy and uneven in the depth cut.

Any suggestions? I've tried to contact Epilog a few times but couldn't figure it out. Maybe there's a local who can repair my machine. I'm stuck.

greg lindsey
03-29-2011, 8:03 PM
Hi Gary and welcome to the Creek. Do a little searching and you'll find a wealth of info here. I am having a similar problem. Since the laser is new, and if you have it all aligned properly, it could be the RF that is bad. I've been working with the techs at Epilog for the last couple of days and they cant seem to nail the problem, so I will be sending the tube and the RF to them later this week for evaluation. A 200.00 cost, but thats cheaper than just replacing parts. BTW the RF unit sell for 2714.29 WOW, I have searched endlessly to find a used one, no luck. Lastly ck your mirrors for wear, other than that, you may want to cantact Epilog about the RF unit. Good Luck, If I find out more about mine I'll put the info up here.

Greg Bednar
03-29-2011, 8:33 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and I'm in need of assistance. My Epilog Laser went out so I ordered a new one from manufacturer.

Can I have the old one?

FWIW - One small suggestion, make sure lid/door(s) are completely closed and interlocks are working correctly. I hope your problem is resolved. I'm sure Epilog tech support can help you.

oscar martinez
03-29-2011, 9:20 PM
you said i have new lenses .
Did you put it on the rigth place. Once i made a mistake and i place mine at the wrong place after cleaning my lens .Wich takes you out of focus.
Also check if you have true focus and make changes if needed.

Neil Pabia
03-30-2011, 10:07 AM
Have you called your local sales rep, I have found mine to be a wealth of knowledge and willing to come out and help when needed.

Richard Rumancik
03-30-2011, 10:54 AM
Just to back up a bit - you said that the laser (tube) went out so you ordered a new one. How did you diagnose the problem to the tube? Did Epilog assist in this diagnosis or did you determine this on your own? Did you send the old one back?

See if Epilog can give you any idea of a test you can do on the power supply (but be careful!) Since I understand this is a high-voltage supply it may be harder to find a technician who can repair it.

If the RF power supply is bad, can you find a manufacturer's name/model on the power supply? (I'm assuming Epilog does not make their own.) If you can find a manufacturer name, the manufacturer might be able to give you a lead on who can repair it (assuming they won't do it themselves.) The power supply manufacturer will probably not sell you an OEM supply directly, however, as they don't want to cause issues with their customer (Epilog.) If it is off-the-shelf you might be able to get one, but usually there is some custom feature even if it is just a connector change. If the RF supply costs that much then it would be worth finding some place to repair it.

greg lindsey
03-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Just to back up a bit - you said that the laser (tube) went out so you ordered a new one. How did you diagnose the problem to the tube? Did Epilog assist in this diagnosis or did you determine this on your own? Did you send the old one back?

See if Epilog can give you any idea of a test you can do on the power supply (but be careful!) Since I understand this is a high-voltage supply it may be harder to find a technician who can repair it.

If the RF power supply is bad, can you find a manufacturer's name/model on the power supply? (I'm assuming Epilog does not make their own.) If you can find a manufacturer name, the manufacturer might be able to give you a lead on who can repair it (assuming they won't do it themselves.) The power supply manufacturer will probably not sell you an OEM supply directly, however, as they don't want to cause issues with their customer (Epilog.) If it is off-the-shelf you might be able to get one, but usually there is some custom feature even if it is just a connector change. If the RF supply costs that much then it would be worth finding some place to repair it.

Richard, I have pulled the RF unit out and gave it a good going over and I cant find any MFR's markings on it, I dont belive that epilog is the MFR for this, but it dosent sound (from many conversations with them)they are willing to devuge that info, and that is the quoted price.

Dan Hintz
03-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Greg,

Can you get a quality pic of the board from the top, so I can see what's all on it?