PDA

View Full Version : The Start of a Journey

Richard Kennedy UK
03-29-2011, 7:12 PM
I accept it, I am hooked! these little creatures have entranced me and just won't let go! From the moment I tried my first hollow form I knew I had begun a journey. In essence I am still very much at the beginning or maybe just locking the front door and taking my first few steps down the path! I have no idea where I will end up or which direction I will go once I reach the corner but at this moment everything is exciting as I look forward to the road ahead! This Oak hollow form represents the myriad of pathways that can be taken all interacting with each other all with twists and turns never
knowing what is around any corner

or maybe its just a giraffe!

C&C always welcome

Jim Burr
03-29-2011, 7:26 PM
Ah ha!! you've been talking to Keith Burns! His stuff looks exactly like that. He does amazing threaded boxes with dimpling and pyro from Bradford pear. So...some details if you would sir! Dimentions? What dimpling and pryo tools did you use? Finish? Come on Richard...you know better than to leave all the fun stuff out!!! Beautiful effort by the way!! The grain really shows through!

Richard Kennedy UK
03-29-2011, 7:36 PM
Hi Jim Thanks for your comments I am sorry I missed out the important stuff I got carried away with mad ravings (oh and I had to feed the giraffe!) I didn't know Keith Burns did any texturing. I know he makes beautiful hollow forms with peachy finials but I will have to have a look at his texturing! Mine needs some work I need to learn how to carve a v groove around the textured bits smoothly I chickened out on this one but I will try to work out how its done! I used a ball shaped burr to dimple then filled it in with the pyro tool it was fun to do (read quick) over all the piece is just under 5 inches high (110mm) and a little over 4 inches wide (110mm) made from oak and finished with oil (needs a few more coats but I was rushing to photo it to put online) I am off to google Mr Burns !!

Thanks again for the comment!

David E Keller
03-29-2011, 7:50 PM
Looks like you've found a shortcut on the 'journey' if this is your first effort! Nicely done. While you're googling Mr. Burns, you might check out Wally Dickerman's pyrography work as the giraffe pattern is one that he does very well. I have nothing but praise for the piece you've posted.

Interesting that you chose to texture and then burn... It seems like most of the pieces I've seen that resemble this one are purely done with pyrography. Regardless, it's a lovely form, and I'm certainly looking forward to your future efforts.

Steve Vaughan
03-29-2011, 7:58 PM
beautiful piece! I like it.

John Keeton
03-29-2011, 8:08 PM
Richard, the form is very good, and the pattern flows well - sometimes an issue for me when I look at textured pieces. Nice work!! I still like your other stuff, too!!!

Roger Chandler
03-29-2011, 8:19 PM
Nice one Richard! Looking forward to your next piece!

Tim Thiebaut
03-29-2011, 8:19 PM
Richard this is a beutiful piece, very well done!

Wally Dickerman
03-29-2011, 9:38 PM
Looks like you've found a shortcut on the 'journey' if this is your first effort! Nicely done. While you're googling Mr. Burns, you might check out Wally Dickerman's pyrography work as the giraffe pattern is one that he does very well. I have nothing but praise for the piece you've posted.

Interesting that you chose to texture and then burn... It seems like most of the pieces I've seen that resemble this one are purely done with pyrography. Regardless, it's a lovely form, and I'm certainly looking forward to your future efforts.

Yep, here's a pic that I posted here some time ago.

Very nice piece Richard. The texturing that you did in addition to the pyrography is interesting.

Cathy Schaewe
03-29-2011, 9:45 PM
I was going to mention Wally's giraffe forms too. His gallery on WoW has some really nice examples. You might also take a look at the one where he used copper 'rub-n-buff' and then pyro... really neat effect.

It's nice to see you branching out in a somewhat different direction, but your pierced pieces are so amazing, I can't stop looking at them!

Baxter Smith
03-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Very nice shape and the texturing is attractive and flows well around the piece! Appropriate name too!

Steve Schlumpf
03-30-2011, 9:35 AM
Richard - man.... I don't know why you would want to start messing around with hollow forms... they are no fun at all! ;)

Love the form on this and have to admit that the size is deceiving - looks a little smaller than the 5" height you listed! I do like the flowing pattern and the area of natural wood left as a collar. I also like that the exposed wood between the burnt areas varies in width. That - to me - has a more natural feel to it than if everything had the same spacing.

I know you have asked about hollowing systems and was curious as to what you are using at this time? Whatever it is - you have it figured out!

Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Robert McGowen
03-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Time for a hollow form with pyro that is pierced, painted, and has a finial. Just get it all out of your system!

Roland Martin
03-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Very well done, Richard. I really like the form and the oak really seems to go well with the pyro and dimples. Thanks for sharing.

Richard Kennedy UK
03-30-2011, 5:27 PM
Wally if I had known that you had tried the giraffe pattern I would have given you a shout too! It just goes to show there is nothing that new in woodturning! I love the pieces you have posted. I wanted to texture the piece and wasnt sure what to do next I knew I wanted to darken the textured areas but after trying stain and various other things on a test piece was a bit stumped until a friend said he was getting a new Pyro machine. Ping! The light went on and the piece finished! I like the extra texture effect it adds another layer to the wood I hope the buying public like the tactile nature of it as much as I do!

Thanks for commenting!

Richard Kennedy UK
03-30-2011, 5:30 PM
Richard, the form is very good, and the pattern flows well - sometimes an issue for me when I look at textured pieces. Nice work!! I still like your other stuff, too!!!

Don't worry John I haven't stopped doing those pieces I just like to try different things Since I broke the foot I have been gradually getting back into the workshop and trying out some new ideas. I didn't have much of a chance to get used to the VB before I was incapacitated so I am learning my new machine along with some new shapes but the other stuff will return soon!

Richard Kennedy UK
03-30-2011, 5:34 PM
Hi Steve

My hollowing system is essentially me and a tool or two I have no articulated or capture system just a mini rolly a set of woodcuts and a few home made scrapers I am seriously considering the Monster set up as I want to get the wall thicknesses down and even but for now I am just trying to get the outside profile to flow and the inside a uniform thickness with a reasonable finish. As for the natural variation in the width, thats due to me having no skill or patience to mark it out carefully!!!

Richard Kennedy UK
03-30-2011, 5:35 PM
Thanks everyone for commenting I am still figuring out how to reply to a specific thread so some of my replies seem to be in odd places sorry!

Thanks again

Donny Lawson
03-30-2011, 5:44 PM
Vrey nice indeed. I must ask, what kind of pyro burner do you use?

Richard Kennedy UK
03-30-2011, 6:39 PM
Vrey nice indeed. I must ask, what kind of pyro burner do you use?

Hi Donny its a machine made by Peter Child It uses wire which you can shape to suit whatever you are wanting I quite like the look of the fixed tip burners I think they would work better when it comes to straight lines but this machine is well built and does the job!