PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a Large Key to Plaque

Tim Bateson
03-29-2011, 6:38 PM
I have a quick overnight job to do. Problem is they want a large pewter key attached to the front of the plaque. Any clues how I can do this? Will plaque tape hold or drill a couple holes and wrap a wire around it?

Mark Sipes
03-29-2011, 7:01 PM
I have used the wire method but if the key will lay flat in 1-3 spots .... 5 minute epoxy holds everything forever..

Mark

Tim Bateson
03-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Great news. The client's "wood shop" is taking responsibility for attaching the key. I reduced my fee (a little)... and breathed a sigh of relief.

As it turns out - this company's former engraver/sign shop owner has suddenly retired. Time to press some palm and claim a new commercial account. Oh & it didn't hurt any to know I was only a couple blocks away from their main offices.

Also doing my research for other commercial accounts that may now be without a reliable engraving/sign shop.

Mike Null
03-30-2011, 5:31 AM
Tim

If he didn't sell his business to somebody else why not contact him directly and see what you can find out.

George M. Perzel
03-30-2011, 8:12 AM
Hi Tim;
I would scan the key and use the scan image to engrave a recess in the plaque-then glue to key in with a bit of Goop.
Best Regards;
George
Laserarts

Scott Shepherd
03-30-2011, 9:08 AM
I know you struggled a bit a while back and some people were screaming "Stop trying to do photographs and get into the commercial market". I hope you can now see why many said that at the time. It's probably one of the most overlooked pieces of advise on this forum.

Tim Bateson
03-30-2011, 3:10 PM
I...get into the commercial market".. Easier said than done. No one likes changing vendors unless I can offer prices that would eventually drive me out of business - that's not going to happen. In my case, I have done a ton of one & two off type of work. The last few larger jobs have all been referals from one of those small jobs. It's building slowly, but that has made things somewhat manageable.

Scott Shepherd
03-30-2011, 3:50 PM
Easier said than done.

Which one would you rather do, focus time and effort on things that won't make you any money, no matter how hard you try, or focus your time and energy on things that will make you money? From my viewpoint, too many people that buy lasers focus their attention on the one that won't make you money, no matter how hard you try, and too little effort on things that will make you piles of money.

Engraving a baby's photograph into granite isn't going to make anyone a living. Engraving things for commercial entities will.

Just my opinion.