PDA

View Full Version : ADV’s Do you use them?

Bruce Page
01-27-2005, 11:26 PM
With the impending arrival of my new IR air compressor :) , I am seriously thinking about adding an ADV (Automatic Drain Valve) to the system. Do any of you use them? Do you pipe the water out of your shop or do you use a catch can? If I’m going to do it, now’s the best time but I’m pretty uninformed on the particulars. :confused:

Thanks

Norman Hitt
01-28-2005, 3:16 AM
Bruce, I'm not fond of them for this application, because it only drains the "Excess Moisture" but always keeps quite a lot of moisture trapped inside on the tank walls. For some theoretical reason, these tanks drain better when left unpressurized at least overnight with the valve open and then start the compressor and let it run with the drain valve open until the mist quits coming out and then shut the valve. I would suggest that you make sure to put an Ell directly into the tank and a short nipple into it with a ball valve on the end and make the nipple long enough to get out from under the tank far enough to give easy access to the valve. (With the right type valve and valve handle, you can even operate it with your toe and not even have to bend over).

Jim Becker
01-28-2005, 8:59 AM
I don't have one, but I want one. I do not depressurize my compressor and it's in a closet with the DC. An auto drain would be quite convenient. BTW, Norm's recommendation to replace the factory stop-cock with an extension and easy to access valve is a good one. in fact, IMHO, it's not optional. Geting one's hand under these things is pretty much impossible unless you build a platform, etc. Mine is bolted to the floor with only a rubber pad for noise/vibration abatement.

Bruce Page
01-28-2005, 9:49 AM
Bruce, I'm not fond of them for this application, because it only drains the "Excess Moisture" but always keeps quite a lot of moisture trapped inside on the tank walls. For some theoretical reason, these tanks drain better when left unpressurized at least overnight with the valve open and then start the compressor and let it run with the drain valve open until the mist quits coming out and then shut the valve. I would suggest that you make sure to put an Ell directly into the tank and a short nipple into it with a ball valve on the end and make the nipple long enough to get out from under the tank far enough to give easy access to the valve. (With the right type valve and valve handle, you can even operate it with your toe and not even have to bend over).Thanks Norman,
Ideally your method would be the best way to insure a dry tank but knowing me like I do, it would seldom happen.:o I would only drain my old tank two or three times a year. I live where the humidity is relatively low but I still had a lot of rusty water.

Bruce Page
01-28-2005, 9:54 AM
I don't have one, but I want one. I do not depressurize my compressor and it's in a closet with the DC. An auto drain would be quite convenient. BTW, Norm's recommendation to replace the factory stop-cock with an extension and easy to access valve is a good one. in fact, IMHO, it's not optional. Geting one's hand under these things is pretty much impossible unless you build a platform, etc. Mine is bolted to the floor with only a rubber pad for noise/vibration abatement.
Jim, there is a guy on eBay selling the IR ADV for 50 bucks. Do a search on "Drain Valve" and it should come up.