PDA

View Full Version : General Metalworking More metal in the shop

Chris Fournier
03-29-2011, 3:47 PM
A good client of mine recently moved their head office and wouldn't you know it the movers made a mess of their metal conference table base. Admittedly the design was vulnerable to being broken right from the start but dropping it ensured that the conference table was now swaying like a drunken sailor anytime anyone put their elbows on the table or pushed off of it.

I was asked to look at the problem and come up with a solution - "cost effective" I believe!

After looking at rebuilding the damages base on-site I realised that it would be a giant PITA and cost too much. Instead I made these two trestle feet and then only had to drill the base stretcher and bolts these stabilizers onto the swaying table. I was able to tweak the trestle support with the caphead socket screws that I threaded into the trestle pads.

Heck I even used body filler to make these purdy!

After whacking my head about 7 times installing and levelling the table I collected up my drop cloth and disappeared in the night. Well I disappeared until the next day when I had to come back for my extension cord. And wrench. And drill. Never did find the roll of tape I brought...

Matt Ranum
03-29-2011, 5:58 PM
Nice craftsmanship on both of those projects.