PDA

View Full Version : Illiana Woodturners 25th anniversary piece

Jeff Myroup
03-29-2011, 3:35 PM
Here is our submission for the AAW 25th Anniversary exhibit. Bob Bergstrom, Mark Hubl and myself worked on it. The piece is 5"x5" natural edge cherry burl. It was turned green to thickness and allowed to warp. It is about 3/16th thick. 22kt gold and genuine silver leaf were added to the bark inclusions and around the natural edge to add some subtle effects. Potash was used to create a patina on the silver. It still has some finishing left to be done. Finish is lacquer.

Jim Burr
03-29-2011, 4:32 PM
OMGosh...not sure how it held together...but that's none of my business!! Without a doubt..a gallery worthy piece and en excellent display of teamwork!

Jeff Myroup
03-29-2011, 4:49 PM
OMGosh...not sure how it held together...but that's none of my business!! Without a doubt..a gallery worthy piece and en excellent display of teamwork!

Thanks Jim. It actually was pretty stable when turning. It only came off the chuck once :eek: It was pretty funny when it happened. Bob did a great job with the gator gouge.

David E Keller
03-29-2011, 8:01 PM
That looks really good, Jeff. The large bark inclusions and those areas of tight 'pin burl' are fantastic... Just lovely.

Jeff Myroup
03-29-2011, 8:24 PM
That looks really good, Jeff. The large bark inclusions and those areas of tight 'pin burl' are fantastic... Just lovely.

Thanks David. I was a really nice surprise when we cut into it and saw all the sap wood. We had to change the design we had in mind. We initially were going to have more gilding on it, but sometimes you just have to say "no".

Bob Bergstrom
03-29-2011, 10:02 PM
The bottom curve came out well. Great job with the chemicals.

Baxter Smith
03-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Nice job. Lots of character and little details to notice!

Mark Hubl
03-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Jeff

Nice job finishing that up. I am happy to see that it held together! You are doing a great job on the finish. Need pics in by the 8th!