PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Bar Project

Chris Fournier
03-29-2011, 3:24 PM
Attached are photos of a bar project that I designed and built for an outdoor rooftop bar at an Ad Agency in my area (Rooftop bar; shoulda gone into advertising!).

They wanted it to be eye catching but have classic lines, be easy to maintain and the cost needed to be below cloud level. Oh yeah they wanted to be able to move it for functions and winter storage.

I used IPE decking dimensioned lumber to keep the shop labour down, and I also hate machining IPE. The work surface and serving surface are stainless steel and I can say that the fabricator did a 10/10 job. His work made me look good! I do give him his props every chance I get and am currently in another project with him. Not enough guys like this around.

The entire wooden base could be disassembled today, its all bolted and doweled. Thank goodness this thing had to go up three flights of stairs - ughh. Its a simple task to tighten it up to account for seasonal changes in dimension.

I fabricated the Johnson bar out of steel tubing and some wheels I had kicking around. Anyone can move this thing around even though its heavy and 8' long. The client was happy as I met the design criteria, the deadline and the budget - will I ever pull that off again? Slim chance...

Jim Rimmer
03-29-2011, 5:31 PM
Nice looking bar. On time and within budget. Will miracles never cease? :)

Rob Haskell
03-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Sweet, you made using a local craftsman the right choice.

Eric McCune
03-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Nice project Chris. Lots of good ideas. Thanks for posting.

Gary Pennington
03-31-2011, 8:00 AM
Form meets function. Great execution.

Dave MacArthur
04-01-2011, 5:35 PM
Really nice. I'd like that in my back yard! Now I need to find a stainless fabricator...

Tony Bilello
04-01-2011, 9:52 PM
Nice job Chris - very impressive.

Chris Fournier
04-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Really nice. I'd like that in my back yard! Now I need to find a stainless fabricator...

I can only imagine that much stainless steel reflecting AZ's sunshine! Would there ever be a cold beer?