PDA

View Full Version : Rastering from front to back with Universal?

Frank Wick
03-29-2011, 2:23 PM
I have been having no luck rastering from front to back with my 660 VersaLaser. I just installed the latest updates that suggested this might have been an issue. I have had the laser for several months but not seen , until now, the need to print from front to back. I have seemingly tried everything. I have yet to contact Universal as I am hoping to get a feel for getting to know this group.

Mike Mackenzie
03-29-2011, 2:34 PM
Frank,

I have not heard of or had any issues with the top to bottom or bottom to top rastering. What difficulties are you experiencing? There is a print direction arrow once clicked on will dictate the direction of the rastering.

Dan Hintz
03-29-2011, 2:55 PM
Frank,

Do you mean front to back as in layers from CorelDRAW, or as in front of the machine towards the back of the machine (often called "bottom to top")?

Frank Wick
03-29-2011, 3:31 PM
Mike,

I was under the assumption that changing the print direction in the VLS materials data base would allow me to create a file that would print from the front of the machine to the back, allowing some cleaner results. I am unable to do this. All other information such as depths and speeds are saved and executed perfectly. I assumed this direction was effected from this window or by simply clicking of the 'print direction' arrow button. No dice. So neither the print direction button nor the setting up of the original material database changes the outcome. It always prints from back to front. Thanks for the quick response.

Frank

Frank Wick
03-29-2011, 4:00 PM
Sorry for doubling up on responses. Dan asked about CorelDraw. I wasn't aware of the ability to set the print direction in Corel. I will look into this. I am as new to Corel as I am the laser.

To make matters more complicated my computer was randomly locking up during SOME printing and I was SOMETIMES getting double image rastering. This double image was actually occurring during the rastering of text, in my case, and at time the whole computer would freeze up requiring a hard reboot. The files had worked just fine before and were simply taken from my print job queue. Sometimes things were great sometimes things were frustrating. Again, a system freeze-up and hard reboot to just get back to starting all over again.

I called Engraver's Network in Dallas, where we bought the laser, and got nothing. I was asked if the cartridge was fixed tightly down. It was suggested I empty my print queue. It was at 120 simple/small jobs. I deleted all but 7. This morning I checked the latest UCP updates (driver updates?) and saw that there had been a list of issues presumed fixed with this latest update. One of the issues listed was the double printing of some components after hitting pause. I don't think my issue was about hitting pause but it has given me hope. I am running Windows 7. My IT guy installed virtual XP this morning as a potential fix. Long story short. I may have never had a great running laser and have no benchmark by which to gauge some of this stuff.

In talking to people at work about this for a week (IT and some computer geeks I know). I was told the potential for a USB connection issue was high. A week ago I moved the printer cable from one USB port in the back of the computer to another USB port and a new connection was established. What this will do for me in the long term is unknown. Things may have settled down.

So, I was under the assumption that changing the print direction in the VLS materials data base would allow me to create a file that would print from the front of the machine to the back, allowing some cleaner results. I am unable to do this. All other information such as depths and speeds are saved and executed perfectly. I assumed this direction was effected from this window or by simply clicking of the 'print direction' arrow button. No dice. So neither the print direction button nor the setting up of the original material database changes the outcome. It always prints from back to front.

I'll shut up now and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks.

Stuart Williscroft
03-29-2011, 4:43 PM
Frank,

Once you've set up your engraving parameters click on manual control and then the raster tab.You should then be able to change print direction.

Mike Lassiter
03-29-2011, 4:48 PM
How long is your USB cable? ULS states in the manual on our laser it can not exceed 6 feet. That's sort of short considering the size of the laser and where the cable connects on the rear of mine. This might be causing you issues if you have a longer USB cable. Not exactly sure why, just what was in my manual.

Frank Wick
03-29-2011, 5:19 PM
My cable is about 5 feet. I think I read that too some time ago. Thank you.

Frank

Frank Wick
03-29-2011, 5:24 PM
I have tried this more times that I care to admit. Some times while crossing my fingers and some times while cussing. Never any results. The button is dead, so to speak. It won't react or engage.

Mike Mackenzie
03-29-2011, 5:47 PM
Frank,

Contact customer service something is not installed correctly. What computer system are you using? What I have seen on some computers is the USB ports are weak and by putting in a usb 2.0 card and using that for the laser will fix any lock up problems. The print direction not working has something to do with the software. I use it all the time without issues so i would recommend to either call customer service or e-mail them support at ulsinc dot com. replace the at and dot with the appropriate key strokes.