PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Stanley Plastic Handled Chisels

James Pickering
03-29-2011, 2:12 PM
My first post here -- I hope it is appropriate.

Vintage Stanley Plastic handled chisels are not covered by John Walter in his "Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools: Guide to Identity & Value" (Second Edition 1996). However, large quantities were manufactured, and used, in years past. They were of high quality and were renowned for their ruggedness and durability. They now are frequently offered on e-bay and by used tool purveyors -- they are collectible and often realize quite high prices.

I have composed a web page at jdevoted to these chisels from the period 1934-1958, that includes a tabulation of data extracted from my Stanley catalogs of that period. I hope it will be of use to those interested in these chisels. I most earnestly solicit all comments, suggestions and corrections.

James

David Weaver
03-29-2011, 2:16 PM
Best thing about the 60s is that they have little enough carbon and are soft enough that you can open a paint can with them a couple of times before you don't get away with it.

john brenton
03-29-2011, 2:30 PM
the no. 40 is a handsome looking chisel.

Bill Rittner
03-29-2011, 7:36 PM
I have several of these chisels left to me by my father, who was a pattern maker. They are good quality chisels and hold an edge well.

David Myers
03-29-2011, 8:09 PM
Thanks for sharing (and recording your recollections for us); I enjoyed your site very much.

David Weaver
03-29-2011, 8:11 PM
Joking aside, I have a buddy who has a set of 60s. He's primarily a hand tool woodworker, but when he uses hand tools, he uses the 60s everywhere even though he's got better chisels for the job. Someone did break the corner off of one of his chisels opening a paint can with it, so my statement earlier wasn't exactly accurate.

lowell holmes
03-30-2011, 8:54 AM
The 30 year old 60's I have don't compare with my LN bench chisels, but I find they are pretty good steel, easy to sharpen, and they do hold an edge for the duration of a carpenter project, like hanging a door or repairing a window. If I need to wear my tool pouch, the 60's go in it, not my LN or Ashley Isles.

Jim Koepke
03-30-2011, 1:30 PM
I have a few of these that I have picked up over the years. Mostly used for the dirty work of chisels out side of the shop.

I think the most I have paid for one is $1.

For bench work, I like the feel and utility of the handles made on my lathe.

The everlasting chisels have a nice top for when it is being hit by a mallet or hammer. It is not well suited to me for paring where it is desirable to have a bead at the base for the hand to push against.

Here are some of the handles for my chisels.

The bead around the base is very useful for different grips when paring.

jtk

Charles Goodnight
03-30-2011, 1:36 PM
I have a set of these that sit on the front of my tool cabinet. The theory being when I just need a chisel, there they are. If I want my good chisels I have to open the cabinet. I figure they act as protection for the ones I care about. Truth is, they hold a good edge, and I really could be happy with them as my "good" chisels.

john davey
03-30-2011, 4:18 PM
I have a few 60's. I am slowly collecting (there I said it) a set of them. Most I have paid is a buck at a yard sale for one. I have a 1/2". 3/4" and 1" I believe at the moment. These chisels sharpen up fine and you can really beat the snot out of them. They get all of the rough carpentry type work I do :).

Jim Koepke
03-30-2011, 9:04 PM
James,

Welcome to the Creek and all I can say is your pictures of good plastic handles embarrassed me into making a new handle for my old #60.

It is the one on the left. Since I only have a few 3/8" chisels, I decided this one could become one of the regular workers with a new handle.

The new handle was made out of a piece of maple salvaged from the fire wood pile.

jtk

James Pickering
03-31-2011, 2:04 AM
Thanks for sharing (and recording your recollections for us); I enjoyed your site very much.
Thank you, David.

James

James Pickering
03-31-2011, 2:07 AM
James,

Welcome to the Creek and all I can say is your pictures of good plastic handles embarrassed me into making a new handle for my old #60.

It is the one on the left. Since I only have a few 3/8" chisels, I decided this one could become one of the regular workers with a new handle.

The new handle was made out of a piece of maple salvaged from the fire wood pile.

jtk
Thank you, Jim -- nice handle!

JAMES

Dan Andrews
03-31-2011, 8:32 AM
I tried to buy Stanley 60s on ebay for a while but they were going for too much money. I ended up buying a set of Millers Falls chisels in excellent condition for a very reasonable price. They are built like the 60s and I like them very much.