PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Turning Tools....

Wally Dickerman
03-29-2011, 1:26 PM
As just about any woodturner knows, sharp tools for woodturning is a must. Sharp tools give a cleaner, smoother cut and are a great help in making woodturning such a pleasure.

Did you know that the AAW has a 90 minute video available on tool sharpening? Presenters are Bonnie Klein, John Jordan, Alan Lacer and Bill Johnson. Can't get any better than that. Beginners and experienced turners alike can benefit from this video.

There have been many threads where experienced turners have advocated buying cheap tools and wearing them out while learning to sharpen. I disagree. Hey folks, learning to sharpen your tools simply isn't that difficult. When you consider how many hours of turning and sharpening it takes to wear out a bowl gouge, buying low end tools is a false economy. Why not enjoy using the best?

I still have my first ever bowl gouge. It's a Sorby, HHS, purchased in the early 80's. It was retired a long time ago with about an inch of flute left. It took a lot of turning and sharpening to get it there. Did you know that early bowl gouges had a handle that was only 12 inches long?

Tim Rinehart
03-29-2011, 1:48 PM
+1 on that. I use my cheap tools to experiment with different grinds only, for most part or for special one off grind needs...but cherish using good tools that hold an edge and have good weight and design.

Ron Bontz
03-29-2011, 2:34 PM
What's a "cheap tool":D

Tim Thiebaut
03-29-2011, 2:43 PM
What's a "cheap tool":D

Harbor freight tools would qualify as a cheaper brand of tool.

Jim Burr
03-29-2011, 3:21 PM
+1 on Wally's thought. I'd like to be in the same boat as some here; buy cheap tools, then buy more, then buy more. Since I can't afford that, I'd rather by the best (whatever my idea of that is) and learn to sharpen it. Like Wally said...it's not that hard and I don't think knocking a 1/8" off one of my Thompsons learning to do it right is going to be noticeable in the long run. And never be afraid to learn!! I was happy with an 80G wheel until my Mentor showed me the difference of starting with 80 and finish with 120G wheel...Wow!! Smoother cut which translates to less sanding. Sanding is right up there with my other favorites in life...Root Canals and standing in line.

Michael James
03-29-2011, 3:41 PM
Excellent video with 4 very good presenters, each offering their own take on sharpening.