PDA

View Full Version : New steady

David Reed
03-29-2011, 1:11 PM
Yesterday I got out my stick welder, the metal cutting band saw and built a long overdue steady rest. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I used the plans posted a while ago by James Combs (thanks very much for the detailed plan). It saved a lot of design and dimension planning time. Please don't look too hard at the welding - not my chosen profession. I really scored with the wheels when I found a package of eight for $8.99 at a local sporting goods store which was having a moving sale. A made a couple of minor mods but it is essentially as he described. Now I need to find the time to get back in the shop and make some shavings and dust.
Sorry, the only white paint I had on hand does not match the "Jet white" but it will have to do. I don't think I can afford to add more paint as the adjustable arms are a pretty snug fit inside the guide tubes with the existing paint. You can see the scuff marks already. I noticed at least one other home grown rest that the arms were not painted.
Thanks again James.188896188897

Dan Forman
03-29-2011, 1:14 PM
Looks good from here. I'm working on a relatively small but longish form now, and it's telling me I need one of those.

Dan

Russell Eaton
03-29-2011, 2:06 PM
I like it. I just need to find a round piece of angle and I think I might be able to make one of those.

John Keeton
03-29-2011, 2:19 PM
David, I admire your multiple skills!! Quite surgical on the cutting and welding, if I might say so. This has to be a big help for the type of form you have on that Jet - beautiful wood, BTW - looks very much like the BLM you sent me, but unusually deep. That is going to be a striking form.

Ron Bontz
03-29-2011, 2:30 PM
You know John. I'm thinking you need one of those to match that nice white 1642-2 you have. I sometimes wish I had not sold mine. I would like to have had the length. Oh well. Congrats BTW. With your skill I suspect you'll be wow-ing us even more. Oh yeah. Dave, you did a very nice job on that. If I did not have one in the works, I would be sending you a PM and begging to hire you. Best wishes.

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2011, 9:13 PM
Nice work on your steady! Looks like it is going to do the job quite well!

Baxter Smith
03-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Nice job on the steady! Color coordinated knobs too. I am impressed!:)

Mark Hubl
03-30-2011, 1:53 AM
Very nice job David. You banged that out very quickly. Should be a welcome addition when doing those tall forms!