PDA

View Full Version : Vector GRID for cutting labels on Corel x3 DIRECTION

GLENN BRADDY
03-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Few of you suggested doing a vector grid to cut ID labels or other labels instead of cutting each one. Where can I look or direction. I've looked it up on youtube... nothing. What is the proper name for what I'm looking for ?
Thanks

Robert Walters
03-29-2011, 12:49 PM
There's GRAPH PAPER (Press 'D' on your keyboard) that creates multiple squares that you could COMBINE to prevent duplicate cuts.

Mike Null
03-29-2011, 2:02 PM
I believe the attached will do what you want. At least it's worth a try.

You can re-size this as you would re-size any thing else and you can designate how many rows and columns you need.

Gary Hair
03-29-2011, 2:34 PM
There are a couple of problems with using the table tool, maybe a bit nitpicky but I like picking nits...

1. Alignment of the text is difficult since you can't select any single space in the table, you select the entire table.
2. The lines that comprise the table are drawn from the top and left side. To optimize cutting I always draw the first line from the top and the second line from the bottom, that way the laser cuts from top to bottom and then from bottom to top. Otherwise it cuts from top to bottom, moves back up and cuts the next line from top to bottom again. That may not seem like a big deal, but if you are cutting lots of lines the time to travel back to the top adds up quickly. Same thing with side to side.

If I were to do this, I would draw a rectangle the size of the plate/badge and use step and repeat to get the quantity I need. On another layer I would place the text, using the rectangles for alignment. On a third layer I would draw the horizontal and vertical lines, alternating drawing them from top to bottom and bottom to top. When you laser, simply turn off the layer with the rectangles and laser away. Save a few of these with blank text layers and you'll have them done in no time.

Gary

Mike Null
03-29-2011, 2:47 PM
Gary

Your points are well taken but centering should be relatively easy if the boxes are at consistent points ie. 1.5, 3.0, 4.5 etc.

Breaking it apart and ungrouping should fix the up and down engraving but I'm not sure of that.

I've tried your solution and for a full sheet it can save time but I typically cut them individually. Certainly if I were doing hundreds I would use your method.