PDA

View Full Version : Martian HF

George Overpeck
03-29-2011, 12:40 AM
This is a kind of fun form that I've been playing with in the last two years, my friend always refers to it as a UFO and I can't disagree. I'm not sure if it's something I saw and forgot where or if I made it up, but it's a nice way to make a HF from a half a log. I'm sure someone has done it somewhere though.

This form can somewhat trick the eye because one would expect the interior walls to follow the outer lip and I've always been dissapointed by the way they handle - it's hard to pull weight out of the corners and hard to get a gauge in there- so they've always been heavier than they look. I had a catch on this one and had to widen the aperture and was able to get the walls very thin- it's remarkably light (no scale nearby). Actually if you look into it the walls have the same translucence visible in the rim but with a few wavers. It's about 5x8, Alaskan Birch.

What do you think I should call it if I need to get creative in the event of a possible sale?

GO

Mark Hubl
03-29-2011, 12:46 AM
I like it. The degree of difficulty is pretty high with this shape. Looks very thin, nice job.

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2011, 7:49 AM
George - you did good on this one! High sided walls are always a challenge when hollowing and it looks like you nailed this one! I really like the translucent quality to the wood! What did you use for a finish? I have seen where folks soak forms in BLO or something and really get them translucent - but I believe the wood was Norfolk Island Pine. Wood must have been pretty dry cause the least little bit of warp would have shown up in the thin rim!

Nice work! Very nice external curve! Looking forward to seeing more work from you!

Jim Burr
03-29-2011, 9:25 AM
I really like this form George! It's not one you see everyday. If anything I think the wood doesn't do the shape justice! You should call it "Roof Collapse". Well done George!!

Scott Lux
03-29-2011, 10:09 AM
For a name how about "Pele" She's the Hawaiian godess of fire and volcanoes.

David Reed
03-29-2011, 12:12 PM
I really like this form with the dropped lid. The thin walls and the resulting translucency really make it pop. It appears incredibly fragile and the 'lid' recess is done perfectly.

David DeCristoforo
03-29-2011, 1:17 PM
Love this! Very difficult form. I know... I've attempted it several times although not on this scale. Very well done!