PDA

View Full Version : Heavy duty cabinet door design question

Lee Ludden
03-29-2011, 12:03 AM
This will be eventually be one of the doors to a cabinet. It will be approximately 78" high, 24" wide and 8" deep. The back will be a sheet of 3/4" plywood with the sides made from 6/4 popular or some similar inexpensive wood. Here is a basic Sketchup view of what I am thinking.

I was planning on just gluing and screwing the frame together and gluing and screwing it to the plywood back. I'd like to be able to store clamps in this, and be able to swing it open to reveal another cabinet (similar size) that I can use to store some less commonly used items.

Would something like this be strong enough to withstand wracking? I was planning on using standard door hinges.

Any suggestions at all welcome.

Dan Hulbert
03-29-2011, 9:42 AM
That is a beast of a door. I don't think you'll have wracking problems with that 3/4 back. I'd be more concerned about the hinges.

I made a version about 1/2 the height and depth of yours and used a piano hinge. Seems to be holding it's own after about 2 years hanging on my shop wall holding an assortment of planes and marking tools. For mine, I dovetailed the sides and captured some 1/4 hardboard in a groove.

Unless you're just using what you have laying around, I'd also consider dropping the back to 1/2. Should drop the weight considerably and you can attach most anything to 1/2 ply.