PDA

View Full Version : hard-to-find cabinet hinge

Michael MacDonald
03-28-2011, 11:36 PM
I couldn't decide if this should be in the finshing forum or not... ah well.

I am looking for a 3/8 inset hings that wraps around the cabinet frame--where the frame is only 5/8 inch thick. Every I have looked, I find the assumption that the face frame stock is 3/4 inch. I would be OK with partial wrap, but the hinge would still protrude past the face frame into the cabinet interier 1/8 inch if I can't find the right size hinge.

Anyone have any leads on this size hinge? I have looked at the usual suspects, rockler, woodcraft, amerock, vandykes, and a bunch of other sites...

Short of finding this, I guess I will get a semi-concealed 3/8 inset hinge. I was hoping to avoid visible screws into the cabinet face frame.

Michael MacDonald
03-29-2011, 9:45 AM
33 views and no ideas... I put myself into this situation, so I deserve it... should have located the hardware first.

my other idea was to shim the inside of the face frame... a 1/8 strip glued to the interior face would perhaps be acceptable...

Jamie Buxton
03-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Aren't you agonzing over something that won't be seen? Those 3/8 inset wraparound hinges screw to the edge of the face frame. You could use a standard unmodified hinge on your 5/8 face frame, and the only effect would be that the rear edge of the hinge hangs off the back of the face frame by 1/8". The overhang is inside the cabinet, and will be unseen. It won't interfere with the door operation. Why not just live with it?

Bill Orbine
03-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Jamie hit the nail on the head.... but I think I have something to add. You could possibly slip a 1/8" thick piece of wood behind the frame to make up the difference.

Michael MacDonald
03-29-2011, 1:49 PM
I am, in fact, agonizing over something that won't be seen. Yes. That is true. Perhaps I will take a break to do some yoga.

I have a vague memory of seeing hinges tuned to 5/8 inch stock... must have been a dream. Now I am frantically searching for the hardware and getting frustrated... I thought perhaps a pointer might simple. There are a million hinges out there, after all. I was hoping to use a full wrap--which also wraps around to the back of the FF. Looks like I need to augment the thickness by 1/8 to make this work...

Bill ThompsonNM
03-29-2011, 3:49 PM
I would use a 1/8 " insert. If you think it looks hoakie -- make it an accent, different wood, a beaded finish invisible until you open the cabinet. Think of this as a design opportunity!

Chip Lindley
03-29-2011, 4:01 PM
I am, in fact, agonizing over something that won't be seen. Yes. That is true. Perhaps I will take a break to do some yoga.

Oh Yeah! About a Pint...Strawberry Vanilla! Mmmm...

Oops, he said yo-ga...not yo-gurt! Sorry.

Jim Rimmer
03-29-2011, 5:27 PM
I'm a little confused on the hinge but is this what you're looking for: http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=48642&cat=3,41241

Michael MacDonald
03-30-2011, 2:28 PM
this is actually the hinge I am buying... it is for 3/4 face frame. It is a partial wrap--only covers the edge of the face frame, and does not wrap around to the back of the face frame. I like the wrap-around... it seems more solid. It is a 3/8 partial inset--3/8" square rabbet in the edge of the door.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=5136

I wanted to get the 3/8 partial inset combined with the full wrap around that is tuned for a 5/8" thick face frame. Apparently, I am asking too much of the hinge industry.

I like the thought of making the 1/8 strip an accent... that is a great idea. Hooray for mistakes.

Jim Rimmer
03-30-2011, 9:13 PM
The only help I can give, then, is a lower price at Lee Valley http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=45058&cat=3,41241,41257