PDA

View Full Version : Mentor Program

mickey cassiba
03-28-2011, 9:43 PM
I've been going through old posts to fill my abundant spare time, and found the old(2005) mentors list. Just wondering if this project has moved forward or died . Specifically I am looking for face time with a hand tool guru with great patience and local to the Rio Grande Valley here in Texas, that would be willing to take on a thick skulled, but willing student. I am willing and able to travel a little, but, as my wife is pretty much disabled, and funds are not available for in home care, overnights are not possible. I am also interested in Turning, and will be posting a similar thread up in the "vortex".

Thanks for looking,

Jim Koepke
03-28-2011, 9:53 PM
Howdy Mickey,

There is a list of folks at the top of the Neanderthal forum in the Sticky notes. There are none listed in Texas, but I think there are a few members here who hail from Texas. Though that could be like someone in southern California trying to get together with someone in northern California, just a few hundred too many miles to go.

Good luck,

jtk

mickey cassiba
03-28-2011, 10:08 PM
I read the list Jim... but unless my brain is fogged, the last update was 2005...just wondering if anyone was still into it.

Johnny Kleso
03-29-2011, 12:34 AM
I did have hand plane get togethers at my house and was posted one here but I told you cant make posts like that here..
They have to be posted in the Calender Fourm which I think I visited only once after being to to make all posts of there..

I have not been well enough to have any for a few years but others may have met that wall like me..

Maybe its me? Go others often check the Calander ?
I almost never ever look any place other than this fourm..

I am hoping if you ask you might find someone willing to tech you in your area..
I know I never wanted a dime even for the food.. Highland Hardware has classes and know how expensive they are for basic classes..
Would be nice to have others helping others..

Jim Koepke
03-29-2011, 2:41 AM
I read the list Jim... but unless my brain is fogged, the last update was 2005...just wondering if anyone was still into it.

My recollection is that there is more than one list.

The second item listed in the Neanderthal Haven conference/forum/list/thingamabob:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?136078-SMC-Hand-Tool-Mentoring-Program-and-List

Was not started until 2010. Only a few people have offered to spend time to do what they can to guide others.

I know it is tough, it took me years to learn to sharpen without anyone to show me. One of my co-workers at the time brought his knife sharpening set up into work one day when we both happened to be assigned to the same location. He got me started on the right path. It took awhile, but now my sharpening is getting much better and my understanding of what takes place has gotten better.

The same with tuning up planes, a lot of reading on the internet taught me about the workings of hand planes. This site has also helped a lot on understanding many aspects of tool usage and how to work wood with hand tools.

You might check with your local school system to see if they have evening adult classes. That is how my first experience with a lathe came about. Sometimes it is a bunch of people working on personal projects in a shop class because they do not have a shop at home. You may be able to attend a class or two before being required to pay to see if it will help.

Otherwise, it can be done with a lot of reading and viewing of different books and web sites to put together pieces of information.

A place you could start if you haven't already is:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805-Neanderthal-wisdom-FAQs

There are a lot of web sites for wood working with some good videos.
Some of the online articles from Popular Woodworking and such are also great aids in cutting dovetails or other joinery.

One that recently caught my attention is: woodtreks.com/

jtk

Jim Koepke
03-29-2011, 2:46 AM
I did have hand plane get togethers at my house and was posted one here but I told you cant make posts like that here..
They have to be posted in the Calender Fourm which I think I visited only once after being to to make all posts of there..

I have not been well enough to have any for a few years but others may have met that wall like me..

Maybe its me? Go others often check the Calander ?
I almost never ever look any place other than this fourm..

I am hoping if you ask you might find someone willing to tech you in your area..
I know I never wanted a dime even for the food.. Highland Hardware has classes and know how expensive they are for basic classes..
Would be nice to have others helping others..

I never look at the Calendar forum. My visits here are also almost all to the Neanderthal Haven. Occasionally I will venture into a couple of the other forums. The link I use from my desktop usually brings me to this forum.

I agree with you about not wanting a dime for helping others learn what I have learned.

jtk

Keith Outten
03-29-2011, 7:50 AM
Mickey,

I started the Mentors list after several requests from Members here. Over the years I have not been able to continue to support keeping the list updated, mostly due to our need to implement an advertising program. Marketing takes up a considerable amount of time which leave me less time to support these kinds of activities here at The Creek. There have been a large number of people who have volunteered to Mentor others here, I just haven't been able to manage the original list.

Mike Siemsen
03-29-2011, 8:41 AM
Mickey,
The Society of American Period Furniture Makers http://sapfm.org (http://sapfm.org/) has a chapter in Houston. You might look for other guilds or clubs in your area as well.
Mike