PDA

View Full Version : Quality file source

Richard Dooling
03-28-2011, 5:24 PM
Nicholson used to be the file when you wanted quality. I've read some pretty negative things about them over the past few years.

I need to remove just a little metal from a table saw arbor flange. So who makes a good flat bastard today?

Well if that's not a leading question!

Callan Campbell
03-28-2011, 5:30 PM
Contact Tools for Working Wood, as he's posted some interesting things about this very subject in the store's frustration with Nicholson's downward spiral. Store is on the web, and physically located in Brooklyn NY. Other than that, how about getting some good used files?

Chris Fournier
03-28-2011, 5:52 PM
Save money and get the best by buying from a machine tool supplier. Grobert and Simmonds are some other fine choices. Filing an arbor? Softly softly catchy monkey!

Ted Wong
03-28-2011, 6:34 PM
If it's a one time thing or you don't anticipate doing much metal filing down the road I'd just get the garden variety Nicholson it'll hold up for once in awhile use. I think Simmonds is another brand I've ordered from MSC Industrial when I need longer life out of a file.

Richard Dooling
03-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the replies. Both the Grobert and the Simmonds look pretty good.

Callan, I have seen the info on TFWW and I treated myself to an Auriou rasp from them. Quite expensive but also an "A-HA so this is what a rasp can do!" moment.

Chris, softly, softly is right! I don't need to move much metal but I have some blade wobble to fix.

Interestingly this is a new General International saw I got at Woodcraft and the manufacturer's rep. was appalled that I was having a problem. He offered to send a tech. to my home to remove and replace the arbor. I told him I think I have a chance to fix this myself if it wouldn't void my warranty. He said to give it a shot but if that doesn't do it he'll stand behind his offer. Real nice guy, outstanding attitude.

I'll post my results when I get it all resolved.