PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 691 Table Saw - Power Cord Comes Up Short

Steven Wahlert
03-28-2011, 4:40 PM
My new Grizzly 691 is almost set up and ready to go, but its 6' power cord is way short.

I'm thinking my best bet is to replace it with about 12' of 12 gauge 3 wire, terminating in the switch box. At the other end a new 6-20p plug (20 amp 230v), same as on the Grizzly supplied cord.

I was first looking for an extension cord, but Lowe's only had one suitable cord that was 50' long with 3 - 10 gauge wires for $90. -No thanks. Also I'm not fond of the plug on the floor of the shop.

Any other better/cheaper ideas than replacing the cord?

BTW - Isn't it pretty lame for Grizzly to supply only a 6' cord?

Thanks
Steve

Daniel Berlin
03-28-2011, 4:52 PM
My new Grizzly 691 is almost set up and ready to go, but its 6' power cord is way short.

I'm thinking my best bet is to replace it with about 12' of 12 gauge 3 wire, terminating in the switch box. At the other end a new 6-20p plug (20 amp 230v), same as on the Grizzly supplied cord.

I was first looking for an extension cord, but Lowe's only had one suitable cord that was 50' long with 3 - 10 gauge wires for $90. -No thanks. Also I'm not fond of the plug on the floor of the shop.

Any other better/cheaper ideas than replacing the cord?

BTW - Isn't it pretty lame for Grizzly to supply only a 6' cord?

Thanks
Steve

I replaced it with 15 feet of 12 gauge, as you are thinking of. i bought 25 feet of SJOOW 12/3 for 0.99/ft online (they will ship as little or as much as you want, i just wanted some extra)
Total cost, including shipping: 32 bucks.
Happy to give you a link if you want it.
If you buy it off ebay instead of from a real place, probably can get it even cheaper.
Since then, my home depot now carries 12/3 SJOOW at about the same price.

Augusto Orosco
03-28-2011, 4:58 PM
I bought a 110V heavy duty extension from HD. You can get 25' of 12 gauge pretty cheaply that way (cheaper than buying cable by the foot). Then simply cut the 110V plug and replace it with the appropriate 220V plug. Cut the other end and peel the wires so you can attach them to the switch box.

Mike Tekin
03-28-2011, 5:11 PM
I just did this with the Shop Fox version of this saw... Either pick the 12 gauge heavy duty extension cord and cut the ends off or purchase 12/3 SJOOW (300W rated cord) at Home Depot or your local electric supplier.

Replace with the appropriate plug based on your outlet configuration. Note, if you haven't opened the switch box yet, you SHOULD buy round and spade terminals (10-12 gauge - yellow, for an 8-10 size post) and crimp them to the ends of the cord going into the switch. Grizzly and Shop Fox do an awesome job of diagraming the layout in their manuals.

I did this to both my 3hp cabinet saw and my shop fox 8" jointer. The switches seem similar.

If you need more guidance, PM me. Also, the plugs are a ripoff at Home Depot and Lowes for the quality you get. Just google for a supplier or find a local one.

Steven Wahlert
03-28-2011, 6:15 PM
Thanks for the fast responses and great suggestions

Mike - thanks for the specifics on the round and spade terminations, I new I needed that but might have fumbled it on the first try at sizing.
Will check out the better quality plug (and receptacle) as well.

I still think the 6' OEM cord is useless. For another couple of bucks they could have provided a 12 or even 10' cord. I'm going to send some feedback to Grizzly on that.

Steve

David Helm
03-28-2011, 7:14 PM
6 feet is a one of the normal lengths for a cord. I'm glad mine was only 6 feet long (G1023RLX). I hate dealing with overlong cords.Just make sure your outlet is close to the saw.

Jim O'Dell
03-28-2011, 8:45 PM
I replaced mine also...about 22' long to go over, up the DC piping, across the ceiling, and plug into the outlet on/in the ceiling. Works great. Did the same thing with my contractor saw...both set up 220 (different dedicated circuits). Jim.

Steven Wahlert
03-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi Jim

Your comment got me thinking to use a ceiling outlet instead of the wall outlet I had planned.
Would get the cord off the floor on the left hand side of the saw where there's more traffic and possible trip hazard
I can run it under the extension table then up a post to the outlet.
Clamping the cable to the column will probably do the trick to keep gravity from pulling the plug out of the receptacle at a bad time like mid-cut.
Do you think anything more is needed?

Steve

Rod Sheridan
03-29-2011, 11:39 AM
I still think the 6' OEM cord is useless. For another couple of bucks they could have provided a 12 or even 10' cord. I'm going to send some feedback to Grizzly on that.

Steve
Steve, good thing you didn't buy a different machine, here are the cord lengths that came on my last two saws;

- General 650 cabinet saw, zero.

- Hammer B3 Winner 12"

regards, Rod.

Steven Wahlert
03-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Got the 15' of cable and a plug from HD installed now and the 691 fires up nicely.
Woo hoo!!

Next up - fine tune alignment of the fence and miter gauge.
Saw dust this afternoon!

Thanks to all for the help.

Steve

eugene thomas
03-30-2011, 1:08 PM
every tool i have in my shop thats not directly next to wall had to change power coard except my woodmaster sander. when ordered it was able to have them put 15' cord on it and they trew in at no extra coast.. At 30 amps that saved me some money...

Neil Brooks
03-30-2011, 1:11 PM
Congrats, and ... please post your thoughts on the saw, once you've put some miles on it :)

Jerome Hanby
03-30-2011, 2:21 PM
6 feet seems like a bad length. Long enough to always be in the way if you use an extension cord, a very short leash if you are going to plug directly into an outlet. I think that's about the length on my contractor's saw and it gets in my way every time i move it around and it's never been plugged directly into an outlet...

Lee Koepke
03-30-2011, 3:44 PM
In the residential world, outlets are generally spaced no more than 12' apart, so a 6' cord would seem appropriate (standard-wise)

I ran a plug under my side support table, connected it to a 220V disconnect so I always know if the power to the saw if OFF without plugging and unplugging all the time.

Jim Finn
03-30-2011, 4:13 PM
Harbor Freight has 10 feet long Heavy duty (#12) power cords for $10

Steven Wahlert
03-30-2011, 5:02 PM
Jim talked me into using my ceiling outlet, so I needed to go to 15'.
Can pretty much get to any outlet in the shop with that.
Got the cord at HD for $1.12/ft plus a $9 plug (probably 3 x what it's worth).

It's all aligned pretty well now and I've verified that it makes sawdust.
Woo Hoo!!!

Had to adjust the table to get the miter slot parallel to the blade - not too bad though.
(I had taken the table off to get the cabinet to the basement, so I don't know if it was aligned in the factory.)

Steve

Jim O'Dell
03-30-2011, 6:36 PM
Sorry I hadn't followed up on this thread Steve. Glad you got it up and running and dialed in. If you worry at all about gravity pulling the cord out of the socket, use a twistlock set up. That's what I have on all of my ceiling outlets, 220 and 110. Jim.