PDA

View Full Version : Design of Fireplace Built-ins

Scott Coffelt
01-27-2005, 4:37 PM
I have been designing cabinetry for my new house build. The LOML wants to have a Plasma or DLP above the fireplace and there will be built-in's on each side. The ceilings in the room will be 12' and we are planning on having the trim across the top not be crown, but instead a box down effect and either stucco or knock down plaster. Then the each level will probably be a different tint. We still have a long ways to go.

I want to stay away from the traditional built-ins, so I have designed the shelves to be floating based on Mark Singer's past work. On the left side the wall angles, so that is what the vertical line shows. The F/P is centered ont he room, so it makes the cabinets slightly different sizes, although when we begin framing I may try to more center on the wall.

The cabinet material will be Maple and will have brushed steel handles. I plan on having down lights on at least the bottom shelf and may have on all levels. Finally, the mantel will be integrated with the top of the cabinets, thus the cabinets will be taller than normal. I am planning on having the mantel arc to a max of 6" in the center of the F/P and then tapper back to 24-26" depth on the outer edge of the cabinets (thus making it more important to center the F/P on the wall. It will be in the neighborhood of 3-4" thick and the shelves will be 2.25" thick.

There will be marble or granite for the tile work on the F/P and floor in front of F/P. We'll probably Venetian Plaster the F/P wall section to add another dimension to the wall.
Obviously, I am shooting for more modern/simple lines in the house cabinetry.

What are the opinions of the folks here... suggestions?

Jim Becker
01-27-2005, 4:43 PM
Design is great. Hopefully, the FP is not too high, however, as you don't want the screen up too high, IMHO, for comfortable viewing. Unless it's REALLY large, of course! :D

Scott Coffelt
01-27-2005, 5:14 PM
Right now I figuring the bottom of the TV to be around 51" off the ground and it will be a 42 or 46".

The LOML is the one that wants it on top of the F/P. I would prefer it be on the side so I caould lower it to about 36-38".

Though this does seem to be the fad.

Jim Becker
01-27-2005, 5:23 PM
The interesting thing about LCD or Plasma screens is that no matter what the size, most folks actually prefer to be closer to them, rather than farther away. And because of the resolution they provide, it really works. You will want/need to angle the screen so that it's facing your viewing position at the very least. Offsetting to the side would solve your height situation, but would degrade your viewing/sound field. Tough choices...

I have a 30" system (what I could afford at the time) and any farther than six feet away just doesn't work for me...coincidentally, that's about where ours is located in the new home theater room. 'Wish is was bigger, though, and I would still want to be "that close", especially for HD and DVD.

Scott Coffelt
01-27-2005, 5:27 PM
Nice thing is that prices have come down. This would be our main TV for everyday. I have a big screen that is where the majority of the movies would be watched. I'll still install surround sound.

Chris Padilla
01-27-2005, 8:11 PM
Scott,

Do a search on my EC in the Design Section...I have the exact same thing going on in my TV room. I have my TV off to the side on an angle. However, I have a 35" HDTV so it is large and weighs north of 200 lbs. No way was that sucker going over the fireplace.