PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Southwestern Vessel

Bill Bulloch
03-28-2011, 1:53 PM
This one is made from Walnut and Pecan. It is 9 inches in diameter and 5 inches high. It has 13 rings with 16 segments per ring and a solid one piece bottom for a total of 209 individual pieces.

The finish is many coats of WOP. I kept applying the poly because I was not getting the results that I expected. After about six coats I noticed that I was using Clear Satin Poly. I switch over to Clear Gloss and applied several more light coats and finally got the finish I was after.

What ya think?

Sid Matheny
03-28-2011, 2:21 PM
Lovely nut bowl HF Bill. The Walnut and Pecan along with the shape and pattern, all go together. Well done! Keep 'em coming.

Sid

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2011, 2:32 PM
Very nice work Bill!

I really like the color combination on this! About the only thing I would like to see you change would be the size of the photos - up to maybe a 1024 pixel size so we can see some of the details!

Roger Chandler
03-28-2011, 2:57 PM
That is a beautiful piece, Bill. Color combination of the wood, the feature ring, and the form itself are all first rate. You really do nice work! Congrats on an outstanding turning!

Dan Cannon
03-28-2011, 3:12 PM
Another beauty Bill! I really like the pattern and the color combo. I haven't been able to lurk as much lately so I could be wrong, but is this your first segmented piece since the "8 lb chuck incident"? Glad to see you're back on the horse, I always like what you come up with.

Dan

Mark Hubl
03-28-2011, 3:36 PM
Man, have the seggy's been a busy bunch. Another very nice piece of work Bill.

Bill Bulloch
03-28-2011, 3:36 PM
Another beauty Bill! I really like the pattern and the color combo. I haven't been able to lurk as much lately so I could be wrong, but is this your first segmented piece since the "8 lb chuck incident"? Glad to see you're back on the horse, I always like what you come up with.

Dan

Not by a long shot. I have posted several since then (maybe four), but have turned even more. I try not to post everything I do, don't want to be a bore.

David Warkentin
03-28-2011, 6:47 PM
Post em all. We like to see em... Please?:D

John Keeton
03-29-2011, 8:51 AM
Another very nice piece, Bill, with good joinery and nice color combo.

Russell Eaton
03-29-2011, 9:04 AM
+1 for keep on posting, that is some sweet eye candy. I like the contrast as well.

Darren Jamieson
03-29-2011, 9:20 AM
Very nice HF Bill, the joinery looks supurb and the color combo is good as well. I to use the WOP and even after several coats I always find the it is plastic looking and doesn't have the feel that fine finish should have. I tried Minwax finishing paste as a final coat and I really am happy with the result. The piece will take on a velvety feel in your hand once you buff it. I apply and buff on the lathe and that seems to do the trick with a nice shine. I am not saying there is anything wrong with your finish but this might be something for you to try. By the way post em all it helps guys like me come up with ideas for the future.

David DeCristoforo
03-29-2011, 10:42 AM
This is really nice, Bill. I would like to see some better pics of it. Steve's edit did increase the size but also caused some pixelation which makes the hard lines look jagged.

Jim Burr
03-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Bigger pics and more posts...Hmmm, I think we like your stuff Bill!!