PDA

View Full Version : SW Style (critique welcome)

mike ash
03-28-2011, 1:30 PM
I have been learning a lot from the critiques I read on this web, so thought I would throw one of my SW style bowls out there. It's about 10" x 8" and is from white oak with a segmented band from spalted maple bordered with black walnut, and the rim is from bubinga.

Thanks, Mike Ash

p.s. hope this photo is attached

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2011, 2:27 PM
Mike - very nice work!

Very tight joinery and your wood combination works well together. As far as form - and this is just my opinion - I do not remember many SW styles of pottery having a rolled lip. Very stylish and makes perfect sense as part of a functional design - just don't remember seeing this feature. I do like the spalted maple used as a detail ring. Adds a level of artistry to the piece that - to me - can not be done my hand.

As mentioned - very nice! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Roger Chandler
03-28-2011, 2:59 PM
Overall great turning......the segmetation is good, but the neck on the form with the rolled lip is probably not a true southwest form, however it is a very unique and very lovely work...........I like it a lot!

David DeCristoforo
03-28-2011, 3:02 PM
Have to agree with SS. Southwestern it aint. But change the reference to "Grecian" and you've got a fine looking piece!

Tim Rinehart
03-28-2011, 3:13 PM
Mike,
I will defer on being true SW to those who know better, and SS is certainly one of them. On first looks, I really like the piece and I think alot of it is the spalted band, that's just a really pleasing look and art that only mother nature can draw. Looking at it closer, I wonder if it would be helped or hindered by softening the transition at the spalted band top, where it just abruptly goes up and then cuts over to the collar.
Perhaps some photoshop work would help see if this is good or bad...but I think it's still a really cool piece that I'd display proudly.

Mark Hubl
03-28-2011, 3:32 PM
Mike,
Nice work. Love segmented pieces. As far as form, if your inspiration was southwestern, then so be it. I would tend to agree that it looks a little more Greek to me. Your rolled lip and squared shoulder give it a more Mediterranean feel for me. Good looking work.

Dan Cannon
03-28-2011, 3:32 PM
While I don't know the intricacies on SW vs. Grecian vs. anything else, I do like this form and the color combination. And boy does it beg to be picked up, in my opinion. So, from a novice point of view, it's a beauty.

David E Keller
03-28-2011, 3:39 PM
It's a nice looking piece, Mike. I don't know anything about the particular styles being discussed, so I can't comment on authenticity. I do find that my eye is drawn to the area just below the detail band because of the change in the curve there... That's about the only thing that I see that I might change on a future form. It's a lovely piece.

Jim Burr
03-28-2011, 3:49 PM
Overall, very nice effort and I really like the size!! 10x8 is really something you can get your hands around! Couple of thoughts...I like the sharp shoulder...there are lots of examples of SWP using this style. It wasn't utilized much as a utility piece because as clay dries, it shrinks. This can cause cracks, especially at corners, rendering the piece useless. So a large radius at the shoulder held up better during the drying process. I actually like the lip, but factually it wasn’t used due to fragility. Bust a lip…toss the pot. I’d like to have seen it in the same wood as the HF to add continuity to the piece. Three types of wood is a lot going on.
The segmenting really adds a lot to the piece…I think you’re on to something great with that one!
Just a note...My sister majored in and has her Masters in Pre-Columbian art and Art history specialzing in pottery and clay formation...I learnd a lot of this from her...didn't want you to think I was that good:p;)

Roland Martin
03-28-2011, 5:23 PM
I really like the effect of the feature ring on this form. The segmenting appears to be very well done. IMO, the turned lip is a bit large and distracting to an otherwise fantastic piece. Thanks for sharing.

mike ash
03-28-2011, 7:45 PM
Thanks for the input folks. Your comments and perspectives will help me with my future turnings.

Mike Ash

Michael James
03-28-2011, 7:54 PM
Mike, right up to the bubinga you could call it SW something, even with a little neck on too. But as metioned the rolled lip is not congruent with the intent as I understand it. Very nice work on this piece and the segmenting looks good! Keep em coming.
mj

neil mackay
03-28-2011, 9:04 PM
perhaps inspired by "south western" :) anyway its a fine piece and your joints are superb

Bill Bulloch
03-28-2011, 10:18 PM
I have a book on Southwestern Pottery and there are a few in there with a rolled lip. One that looks very simular to this one (without the segmented part) dates back to ca. 1125. I was just a kid then.

Nice job.

Baxter Smith
03-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Nice job on the joints and I like the spalted maple feature ring. Don't remember seeing one before. Great idea!

Dan Forman
03-29-2011, 12:32 AM
Whatever the inspiration, you did a fine job. I think I would like it better without the rim, but that's just me.

Dan