PDA

View Full Version : Decoder Ring for Unisaw Model Numbers?

Dave Carteret
03-28-2011, 11:33 AM
I've been combing the market for a good, used tablesaw, but I'm confused by the wide variation in Delta Unisaw model numbers that are out there.

Clearly, the serial number tells me how old the saw is, but can heads or tails be made of the model numbers? Delta has one of the worst websites I've seen when it comes to listing specifications for discontinued products. It sure would be nice to know what the saw is supposed to be vs what it actually is.

Does anyone know of a decoder ring so I can tell the difference between a 36-812, 36-816, 36-XXX, or YYY? Is this one a 52" fence and that a 36"? Which one is 3hp or 5hp or Unifence or.....

Thanks!
Dave

Myk Rian
03-28-2011, 11:55 AM
www.vintagemachinery.org
Go to the machine info tab and wiki knowledge base
Or, browse the photo index, etc.

mickey cassiba
03-28-2011, 12:20 PM
What Myk said! Even some of us at Delta had to keep cheat sheets when evaluating returned equipment. BTW if you think the Unisaws are confusing, try the combo machines and sanding machines...need a ring for each finger

Bill Czygan
10-08-2018, 10:03 AM
Old thread but I just picked up a Unisaw with the SN 112.4441
What model does that make it?

Bill

Dave Cav
10-08-2018, 1:34 PM
According to the Wiki (above) it should be a 1954. Where is your serial number tag located?

As for the model, it's a Unisaw. The model number variations listed in the catalog had to do with single/3 phase, accessories included with the saw and other relatively minor details but a Unisaw is a Unisaw.

Bill Czygan
10-08-2018, 2:37 PM
It is right under the table above the motor controller/switch location. Is there a way to post photos?

Bill

Steve Schoene
10-08-2018, 3:04 PM
I can't tell by model numbers, but my experience with my 1946 Unisaw is that there were really only minor changes over years. The motors differed (mine came with a 1725 rpm motor, which meant that the pully was a different size. Other difference were things like the sawdust door, or the base (mine is cast iron), and of course the fence and cross cut square differ. I think there were only about 2 variants of the arbor and bearings. Some things just didn't change. For example, when I fitted a Biesemeyer splitter, it was a direct bolt on, and for that matter most after market fences are drilled for direct mounting on the holes used for the original.

Matt Day
10-08-2018, 3:42 PM

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/DeltaSerialNumbers.ashx

Matt Day
10-08-2018, 3:43 PM
Yes you can post pictures, plenty of threads about that. Please do some searching.

Rollie Meyers
10-09-2018, 12:04 AM
Picked up two Unisaws at a scrapyard, last one this weekend funny thing is that they both seem to be 1977 models & they have 3 HP 1Ø motors, my user saw is a 1973 former school shop model.

Dave Cav
10-09-2018, 1:49 PM
Now you can have one for rips, one for crosscuts and one for dado work.

Rollie Meyers
10-09-2018, 11:16 PM
Now you can have one for rips, one for crosscuts and one for dado work.
Nahh, no shop space for them. :) But having one setup for dados does sound good & would be nice.