PDA

View Full Version : hand plane eye candy

Jeff Bartley
03-28-2011, 9:49 AM
Ok, it might be that I'm living in a cave but I just happened upon Karl Holtey's website. I had sure heard of his planes but never his website.
The 982 smoother is worth a look....just make sure you have a towel ready to mop up the drool...polished steel, brass, rosewood. Most interesting is the blog entry which details the construction of this plane.
It sure is cool that there are still plane makers making tools of this caliber (despite the fact that they're out of my reach!).
Let's add to the list of plane makers to look up: Ron Brese, Saurer & Steiner, Daed Toolworks.........who else???

David Weaver
03-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Wayne Anderson, Pete McBride (i don't know if he actually sells, but I think he's a jeweler and that leads to some intricate work), Bill Carter, Philip Marcou and there's a last guy whose name I can't recall - Bruce or something, I think it starts with B, maybe not Bruce, but he's not pushed hard in the "clique" of bloggers and WIA fraternity members though he's been making planes a lot longer and deserves mention.

David Weaver
03-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Oh, i forgot, Gabardi (that might be right? I always remember them as garibaldi, but that's candy or something).

The name I forgot above came back to me - Brian Buckner, worth googling.

Plus, anyone on here who wants to make an infill plane and has the patience to "not screw it up" while they're making one - it's worth doing.

Orlando Gonzalez
03-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Dave,

You are right it is Gabardi & Son and they specialize in infill planes.

www-dot-gabardiandson-dot-com

Brian can be found here:

www-dot-sydnasssloot-dot-com/bbuckner/tools-dot-htm

Garibaldi is an Italian national hero from the mid 19th century. The candy is actually the Ghirardelli Chocolate Co. founded in San Francisco in 1849. They have a big store over by the wharf in San Fran bay. :D

David Weaver
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
To a german, all of these italian names sound the same!

Ghiradelli's chocolate surplus ends up in the dollar store here. I have seen some of it for regular price in stores. I like the dollar store's price on the overruns and abandoned orders a lot better.

Stuart Tierney
03-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Oh, i forgot, Gabardi (that might be right? I always remember them as garibaldi, but that's candy or something).

The name I forgot above came back to me - Brian Buckner, worth googling.

Plus, anyone on here who wants to make an infill plane and has the patience to "not screw it up" while they're making one - it's worth doing.

What if I poke and prod someone into making an infill? Does that count?

Been to Ghirardelli, bought chocolate, made many folks here very, very happy. :)

Stu.

Roy Lindberry
03-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Don't forget Phil Edwards of Philly Planes

Orlando Gonzalez
03-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Don't forget Phil Edwards of Philly Planes

+1 on Phil and don't forget about Gary Blum and his planes.

David Weaver
03-28-2011, 12:18 PM
What if I poke and prod someone into making an infill? Does that count?

Only if you can get Tsune to do it...

.. or if you get one made with a ghiradelli chocolate infill.

I wonder what the Tsune guys would say if you took a 3 thousandth mouth 55 degree smoother and pushed it in every direction over every board they had without any tearout.

They'd probably say "the finish isn't very bright".

And compared to a 8/10 kanna, they'd be right!

Klaus Kretschmar
03-28-2011, 1:27 PM
There's another infill maker here in Germany. Gerd Fritsche does lovely work for reasonable prices.

traditional-handplanes-dot-com/index.php

Klaus

Jeff Bartley
03-28-2011, 9:49 PM
Thanks for adding to the list guys! But how am I ever gonna get to sleep tonight? I've got so much to look up!

george wilson
03-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Here's a silver miter plane I made for a retiring vice president in Wmsbg. It is about 9" long,1/8" thick silver,rhodium plated so it would never tarnish. Looked like it was dipped in mercury. We heard that Mr. Birney didn't keep his things polished,so this indestructible finish. Even the iron was plated,and dulled down to look like steel again. The plating would cost a fortune today,with the costs of the platinums so high. When I was a kid,I thought rhodium was something cheap.
I wonder what it would be worth today,with sterling over $35.00 an ounce? Brazilian rosewood infill.

I always told everyone he got it for shaving employee salaries.:) Actually,I thought he was one of the few truly nice high ranking guys.

If I ever make another plane to sell,I'll post it. Used to sell a lot of infill planes and other tools. Collectors in the EAIA were after them. Made a big bunch of woodies for Wmsbg.,or is this just about infills?

Don't forget that Jay Gaynor and Joseph Hutchens made a small line of impeccably made infills back in the early 80's. I wish I'd bought one,but I was pretty loaded with my own workpieces at the time. Jay's weren't that costly at the time,but VERY carefully made. One was a bronze miter plane very similar to this one. Also chariot planes and thumb planes. After that Jay became curator of tools in Wmsbg. Hendley optical Co.(sp?). St. James Tool Co.. Larry Williams and Co..

Jeff Bartley
03-29-2011, 9:29 AM
Your on the list George!! That's an incredible looking plane, I bet it worked even better than it looks!
I just attended my first EAIA meeting the other weekend at Jeffersons' Poplar Forest. Spectacular event, tours, talks were just incredible. One of the presentations was by Brian Coe of Old Salem who showed how to make a wooden molding plane. He explained everything down to tempering the blade after filing the profile. Made it look so easy and fast.
Jay Gaynor was mentioned several times as an authority on 18th century planes!

Mike Holbrook
03-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Unfortunately Steve Knight just took down his web site, after "12 years of making 3500 planes" . I know there are quite a few posters on these pages who have his planes. I am trying to talk him back into the plane business. The best use of his cnc router would be to make more planes. Apparently the Razee plane kits were not selling well.

john davey
03-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Even if Steve is going in other directions he did make some great planes for a time and should be included in this.....John

Caspar Hauser
03-29-2011, 9:24 PM
As to the Garibaldi question;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garibaldi_biscuit

Mark Baldwin III
03-31-2011, 9:21 PM
I'm slowly working my way through the video's on the Gabardi & Son site. Very educational, and inspirational. This is something I may have to set my mind to and try. I wish I could afford to get one of their planes.
Gerd Fritsche's planes look gorgeous. I'm actually thinking about saving up for one of his kits. If I'm a good boy, maybe I can swing it by this summer.