PDA

View Full Version : Trent Bosch Demo, Creeker Visit, New Tools (Gloat)

Brian Weaver
03-28-2011, 9:35 AM
Whew! What a great time I had the last 4 days. Glacier Woodturners here in north west Montana has hosted Trent Bosch for the 4 days. We had 3 days of hands on with 7-8 people each day, and 1 day of just Trent demonstrating. I believe we had about 36 people that day. Thursday kinda sucked because I had to work that day and our club house is in the back part of the office building where I work. I just had to sit there listening to the laughter and sounds of lathes spinning away. I did take Friday off however and got my chance at some fun. Trent has a laid back but organized teaching style that makes it very enjoyable. I would recommend if you have the chance, to attend one of his classes. I also got to meet Hayes Rutherford who recently started posting here along with Bill Papesh who both made the trip over from the Priest River ID area. They attended the Saturday demonstration by Trent and the Sunday hands on class. Up until now I have only done smaller hollow forms with tools I have made myself but after using some of Trent's I purchased his set of 5/8" hollowing tools. (Sorry no pics of those) Here of some pics of the event though. The first pic is of the Thursday hands on class. (taken from my office window) The second and third pics are of the Saturday demo by Trent and the last is of the Sunday hands on class. Hayes is in there somewhere I think buried under a pile of shavings. Can you believe my boss lets me do this to his office building??

Scott Hackler
03-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Thats cool. I am hoping to get into one of Trents demos at the AAW symposium. He sure creates some awesome stuff.

Tim Rinehart
03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Hey Brian...that's cool. I bet Trent is a good teacher, judging from a few youtube snippets I've seen. Nice to hear about folks getting hands on time with some of the great ones...and his forms really are outstanding and unique. I look at them mostly and just scratch my head on how he does it.

charlie knighton
03-28-2011, 10:40 AM
great gloat, you got a great boss

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Brian - great series of photos! Sure looks like it would have been fun!

Looking forward to seeing some of your hollow forms!

Dan Forman
03-28-2011, 1:55 PM
I knew that Hayes and Bill were going up there, I had to work the weekend or I might have gone too. Sounds like you had a good time, though the first day must have been kind of frustrating.

Dan

Hayes Rutherford
03-28-2011, 6:36 PM
Why am I so tired?

Brian, it was a pleasure meeting all of you guys. I am normally a hermit but would enjoy visiting your club anytime.

Can't say enough good things about Trent. He relates real well, and was more than willing to help me with an idea I have been trying to incorporate in some of my pieces. He freely lets you use all his hollowing tools, die grinders,etc. He constantly made the rounds checking everyones progress, I was curious about his turning tools and found out he and family produce the hollowing tools, handles, and carving vice in his own metal shop. His tools are milled flat on the sides which resists flexing more that some of the tools that are tapered in the round, but still give great access. For some time I have been thinking about a swan neck scraping tool that had more sensitivity than my Sorby arm brace tool and I was impressed with his tool and handle combination.

Brian, again, many thanks.

hr

Mark Hubl
03-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Looks like a great time was had by all. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Congratulations to all!

Richard Galloway
03-29-2011, 11:46 AM
This was indeed a great event! Trent is very friendly and willing to tell you any and all "tricks of the trade" that he might know. There are so many options in wood turning that I doubt I ever learn them all, but after this class there are a few that have worked to the top of the pile that I'll be using in the near future. The ability to use the various tools that Trent uses in his own work was a great help in figuring out which direction I wanted to go. The only down side to the whole four day event was that I don't have enough $ to get all the new tools I need/ want. A big thanks to your boss or letting us use this building during the week!