PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt biscuit joiner mod

Larry Edgerton
03-28-2011, 7:17 AM
A recent thread on Biscuit joiners reminded me of a mod I did on mine that has been a great help. Stock it was always plugged up.

If you take the bag off and the plastic adapter on the exhaust port and look up in there you will see a post sticking up in the middle of the port, obviously designed by a lawyer, to keep you from sticking your fingers into the cutter. Cut it off and smooth out the port floor and you will have 95% less plugging up of the exit port.

You just have to remember to not take all of the dust collection stuff off and shove your finger up in a running machine........:cool:

Chip Lindley
03-28-2011, 9:10 AM
...You just have to remember to not take all of the dust collection stuff off and shove your finger up in a running machine........:cool:

Thanks Larry! Great tip! I will do my best to resist that overwhelming temptation! *eyeroll*

keith ouellette
03-28-2011, 10:43 AM
was yours a dw 682? That is the one I just bought used but there is no post that you speak of. I wonder if the other owner did the mod you speak of.

So far Its a fantastic joiner. I used it to join some plywood scraps to make them wider. The dust collection was far better than I expected.

Your post reminds me of a few chain saw exhaust modifications I did. Basically the same thing.

Mike OMelia
03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Your post reminds me of a few chain saw exhaust modifications I did. Basically the same thing.

I bet you are talking about that spark arrestor screen. Lots of weed eaters and such have been tossed because of this silly thing. It gets plugged up with carbon and no amount of starter fluid and rope pulling will start the motor. Simply remove it (and install another if you care to). If you were not referring to this, just add to the list of other home-mods.

As for the biscuit mod, I am prone to sticking my fingers where I should not, but I will probably do this one and add a great big sticker warning me not to put my finger in there.

Mike

keith ouellette
03-28-2011, 3:18 PM
I bet you are talking about that spark arrestor screen. Lots of weed eaters and such have been tossed because of this silly thing. It gets plugged up with carbon and no amount of starter fluid and rope pulling will start the motor. Simply remove it (and install another if you care to). If you were not referring to this, just add to the list of other home-mods.

As for the biscuit mod, I am prone to sticking my fingers where I should not, but I will probably do this one and add a great big sticker warning me not to put my finger in there.

Mike

It was the part where the OP said "smooth out the port floor" that made me think of it. I was actually refering to opening up the exhaust port on a chain saw and enlarging the muffler ports but your right. Those screens are made to ruin equipment as well as cut down on sparks.

I would think opening up the exhaust port on an item like a joiner would even help more of the fine dust to find its way into the bag by increasing the air flow.

Larry Edgerton
03-28-2011, 7:14 PM

Thats why I have the tools for porting, even built my own flow bench of sorts.......