PDA

View Full Version : What size Scroll Chuck for Mini Lathe?

John Sanford
03-28-2011, 2:37 AM
I use a Jet 1014VS Mini lathe, and plan on getting a 4 jaw scroll chuck, probably Vicmarc. My choices appear to be the VM90 and the VM100. I'm leaning towards the VM100, any reason I should go with the VM90 instead?

Brian Libby
03-28-2011, 5:33 AM
I believe the only difference is tommy bars vs T-handle.

Jeff Nicol
03-28-2011, 6:50 AM
John, If I had my choice I would go with one with the "T" handle, as then you can mount things in the chuck much easier while it is on the lathe. The "Tommy" bars work just fine, but will irritate you one day and you will say"I wish I would have gotten the one with the "T" handle". Buy a couple as it is the natural progression in the turning world, one lathe turns into 3 and one chuck turns into 4 or more!

Good luck and have fun,

Jeff

Michelle Rich
03-28-2011, 7:39 AM
Vicmarc makes excellent chucks..they are my preference.(mine are 15-20 yrs old and they are still perfect).you will be happy with either.

Jim Adkins
03-28-2011, 8:04 AM
I can only echo what Jeff says about the "T-handle" I've two Vicmarks, 100 & the 120. 100 is on the Jet mini & the 120 is on my Stubby & like Michelle, mine are 15 yrs old....no problems. I understand that Grizzley sells the Vickmark but under their name, same chuck but much less $$
I do know the jaws are interchangable from Grizz to vickmark so it seems to be true.

Jeff Myroup
03-28-2011, 9:53 AM
I use my strong hold and super nova on my 12-20 all the time. I bought a couple of spindle adapters so I could switch between the big and small jet

John Sanford
03-28-2011, 6:21 PM
I can only echo what Jeff says about the "T-handle" I've two Vicmarks, 100 & the 120. 100 is on the Jet mini & the 120 is on my Stubby & like Michelle, mine are 15 yrs old....no problems. I understand that Grizzley sells the Vickmark but under their name, same chuck but much less $$
I do know the jaws are interchangable from Grizz to vickmark so it seems to be true.

From my reading, Vicmarc made the Record chucks, but I don't think they were ever really sold as such out side of the UK, possibly the entire EU. The Grizzly chucks are Asian (don't know if they're Taiwanese or Chinese) knockoffs, they are not made by Vicmarc, nor licensed.

I'm glad to hear that the VM100 is happy on the Jet Mini. No worries then, the VM100 it will be. Hopefully, the phone conversation I just had will pan out and I'll score a short term (1 month) contract. If so, I'll not only have some real income, but I might also get to attend the Utah Woodturning Symposium.