PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades to my dovetailing kit

Don Kondra
03-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Greetings.

In anticipation of dovetailing six drawers for a ladies dresser commission I ordered a Knew Concepts saw.

It arrived a few days ago and although I've only cut one test joint with it so far I must say I'm happy with my purchase.

The frame is much more rigid than the traditional saw and allows for a higher blade tension. This translates (for me at least) to being able to more accurately cut to the line with less paring.

The quick release also makes it a breeze to change the orientation of the blade.

Also in the mail the other day was a marking gauge from Lie Nielsen, they visited Saskatoon recently and when I tried the micro adjustment and scoring action of the circular blade I had to have one :)

For the photo buffs a shot of my lighting set up.

I should also mention I experimented with using a Dewalt Scroll saw for some of the cross cuts. I can just hear the tsk, tsking but if it is accurate enough and saves time I have to know :)

Right now it appears it is slightly slower and more finickly to get square results in this 1/2" soft curly maple.

Cheers, Don

Joshua Byrd
03-28-2011, 2:42 PM
Nice Bees. :) My wife has two of the limited edition 800s that she loves.

Jim Koepke
03-28-2011, 3:05 PM
Nice haul, I would like to see how you cut those dovetails with the chisel pictured. :confused:

I would show my photo set up, but it is just a couple of desk lamps and occasionally a Gitzo tripod.

jtk

Don Kondra
03-28-2011, 3:18 PM
Nice Bees. :) My wife has two of the limited edition 800s that she loves.

Thanks Joshua,

For larger pieces of furniture I'm glad I went with the B1600's...

I started using strobes with a Cowboy Studio 200 w/s kit and shortly after they arrived I ordered the Bee's, I now use the CS softboxes and stands on the Bees.

Nice haul, I would like to see how you cut those dovetails with the chisel pictured. :confused:

I would show my photo set up, but it is just a couple of desk lamps and occasionally a Gitzo tripod.

jtk

Hi Jim,

The bottom of the middle pin is 7/16" and was cut with the copying saw, no paring :)

A good photo doesn't necessarily need an expensive lighting set up if you get creative, consider composition, background, highlights and use daylight balanced bulbs.

I worked with CFL bulbs first before moving on to studio strobes.

Cheers, Don