PDA

View Full Version : Hand cranked grinder restoration

Christian Castillo
03-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Hi, I'm in the process of restoring a hand cranked grinder I purchased at an estate sale. The grease inside was dry and nasty, what kind of grease should I use to lubricate the gears in this situation? Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Mike Olson
03-28-2011, 1:27 PM
does yours have oil ports above each axle? If so, just use generic machine oil in there without any grease on the inner gears.

I had to use a gasket making goo on mine when re-assembling or the oil would drip out the bottom.

Noah Barfield
03-28-2011, 5:08 PM
I saw one of these at an antique store yesterday and was greatly tempted to buy it. Do they still make stones that would fit it?

Noah

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-28-2011, 6:02 PM
I saw one of these at an antique store yesterday and was greatly tempted to buy it. Do they still make stones that would fit it?

From what I've seen, that would really depend on the grinder in question. I've seen several different sizes. Best bet would be to measure as best you can to figure out.

Christian Castillo
03-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, the grinder I have doesn't have ball bearings, just shafts that rotate in holes, and gears. It came with a 7" wheel though, so I guess I wont have to look into buying a wheel for the near future.