PDA

View Full Version : Touch of Envy

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2011, 9:55 PM
Maple hollow form with curly Maple finial, 6” to top of finial x 5 ½” diameter x close to 1/16” thick. Sanded to 6oo grit, lightly dyed with RIT dye and has many coats of gloss wipe-on poly. After drying for a few weeks, it was buffed and given a coat of Renaissance wax to help give it that glass-like feel!

188700 188702 188701 188699 188698

As always – your comments, opinions and/or critiques are welcomed! I thought the name fit because it is just a little bit green. If you have a another name suggestion - please let me know!

Thanks for looking!

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 10:04 PM
But, St. Pat day was last month!!!! I know, you started it last month.;):D Very nice work, Mr. Schlumpf, and I do like the signature finial, with the color - nice touch. Makes one "green with envy":cool:

I know you did this one for Ms. Schlumpf with the green - so what is her opinion on the overall finished piece?

Looks like you are well on your way to getting this gallery order done in record time. The ol' 1642 is proving itself - makes me even more sure I made the right choice.

Steve Schlumpf
03-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the kind words John!

Colleen hasn't seen this one yet! I am a little afraid to show it to her because I might end up having to turn another!

David Reed
03-27-2011, 10:10 PM
It appears to us mortals that you are turning out projects like a machine - and doing it very well indeed. Not that this is a surprise. Nice characteristic Schlumpf dyed form and finial indeed. I must agree with Mr K that the 'ol 1642 was indeed a good choice.

David E Keller
03-27-2011, 10:37 PM
I like it... The color is understated which is cool. I really like the main form as it has a lot of visual lift. Another award-winning finish!

Steve Mawson
03-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Really like the piece, not so sure on the color but that's just me.

Michael James
03-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Ditto everything I say about all your pieces, and I do like the understated dye job. The color is not my favorite, tho.

Don Kondra
03-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Nice work Steve.

I like the form, especially the way the body rises up to meet the finial.

Betcha it was fun to photograph :)

Cheers, Don

Rick Markham
03-27-2011, 11:45 PM
I think it is spectacular Steve, very organic form and the color of the finial makes it seem even more so. Very much like a stem on a perfect fruit. As always your finish makes me "green with envy" absolutely perfect! I'm still working to attain the level of perfection with the high gloss WOP that you consistently achieve!

gary Zimmel
03-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Another beauty Steve. Looks like you have an assembly like going n your shop..

Wally Dickerman
03-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Very nice Steve. Who says that finials have to be black. You have to be really whipping these HF's out.

Dan Forman
03-28-2011, 3:20 AM
Not much new to say but splendid job. The matching finial works well and the form is stellar.

Dan

Michelle Rich
03-28-2011, 7:44 AM
I think the name is perfect...Unfortunately, my monitor is not showing the green...your ususal great HF ..real pretty

Tony De Masi
03-28-2011, 7:51 AM
1/16 ???? Really pushing the limit huh? As usual a very nice piece Steve.

Roger Chandler
03-28-2011, 7:57 AM
Great form, unusual color, and that finial looks like it had some carving on it to produce facets instead of being totally round. Your upcoming show should find a treasure trove of beautiful forms for the onlookers at the gallery.

Keep 'em coming, Steve. Your application of Ren wax............how do you apply, and do you use the beale buffs to do the buffing or by hand?

Jim Adkins
03-28-2011, 7:57 AM
Mr. Schlumpf, you've pushed the envelope to perfection on this one. Really like the form, finish, the whole nine yards!! A sheer joy to look at, we will only dream about holding it!! Thanks.

Baxter Smith
03-28-2011, 9:24 AM
Nice shape and a very cool color combo Steve!

Jeff Myroup
03-28-2011, 9:38 AM
I like this a lot Steve. Great form and a nice simple finial. I am partial to the simple tapered style of finial, or a keith burns style. Yours works very well with the nice simple form. Great Job

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2011, 9:56 AM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone - I really appreciate it!

I've been experimenting with monochromatic (dyed) hollow forms and have a couple more that I'll post real soon. All I can say is that they are different!

Roger - the Ren wax is soft and can be buffed or rubbed out by hand. I never really see a big difference between methods. If the buffer is set up - then I use it at around 1000 rpm or a little slower to lightly buff the piece to a gloss.

Jim Burr
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Looking at the finial Steve...is it faceted?
Great chunk of wood and classic form. Just not that crazy about the color...or maybe I am and just don't know it yet!

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Jim - how you feeling?

The finial was turned and what you are seeing (because of the high gloss) is the reflections of the interior of the photo tent. The one thing I was not able to capture in the photos is that the finial, being curly maple, really looks like it is lit up from within. It just radiates light and really makes the piece - in my opinion.

Pete Jordan
03-28-2011, 1:19 PM
You are a turning machine!

Excellent work!