PDA

View Full Version : Jointer set up and dial indicator

Alan Tolchinsky
01-27-2005, 2:40 PM
Hi All, What's the correct method of adjusting jointer blade height with a dial indicator? I have a Jet 6" and it cuts pretty well but I just wanted to check it out. Thanks.

Mike Cutler
01-27-2005, 6:54 PM
Alan. Are we talking about checking the height of newly installed blades to ensure uniform height, or is it a question to check the outfeed table a few tho' less than the top of the blades?

Alan Tolchinsky
01-27-2005, 7:01 PM
Mike, I'm trying to adjust some fairly new blades to make sure they are adjusted properly. I just wanted to know the best way of using the dial indicator to do this. Thanks Alan

Dave Moran
01-28-2005, 4:33 PM
Alan, When I do mine I reference the dial indicator to the outfeed table for 0 then slide it up to the blades to get TDC and ajust to 0. Make sure you have a flat contact point or you will drive yourself nuts. I check 3 places across the blade during and after tightininig. A wood wedge to lock the cutter head in position helps. I also balance a mirror against the fence to read the dial indicator.

Russ Massery
01-28-2005, 4:47 PM
Alan, Here's a quick and easy way to hold the indicator. Also like dave said you NEED a flat point or you will go nuts. pic attached.........

Russ