PDA

View Full Version : First Segmented Bowl

Dan Cannon
03-27-2011, 9:27 PM
hello all,
I tried my hand at segmenting and this is what I ended up with. Pretty simple, I know. But that was intentional, I just wanted try to learn a few things. Boy did I ever! My goal was to use only what I had in my modest beginner shop. So after a few homemade jigs/fixtures, I was able to get it put together.

I had a great time doing this, and I have a feeling this won't be my last segmented turning. I got into woodworking about 1 year ago, and shortly after was swept up by the turning vortex, but not before I'd acquired some general tools that I wanted to learn. Determined to learn some skills on these other tools, I figured segmenting was a good way expand my horizons (and answer the constant question from the living room of "what are all those OTHER tools for??") . So I was able to use my jointer, planer, table saw, sanding tools, etc.

With the kiddos, school and work, I only get to work in short bursts anyway, so the segmenting kind of fit in rather well, since there seems to be small steps with waiting in between anyway.

Stats:
Maple and mystery wood, both scrap woods from my dad, so he gets this bowl...he's my biggest supporter in this game.
approx. 7.5" diameter, 3.5" tall
walls are about 1/4" thick, with the rim rounded under a bit on the inside

Nothing great, but maybe it's a start. C&C more than welcome!
ps - Thanks to Bill Bullock and Michelle Rich for taking the time to answer my newb questions behind the scenes!!!

Thanks for looking,
Dan

Roger Chandler
03-27-2011, 9:36 PM
That is a nice one, Dan...........you are off to a great start in segmenting! I haven't as of yet tried my hand at segmenting, but I think it is in my future!

Tim Hughes37
03-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Totally understand the comment about "all the other tools". My wife laughed when I read this post to her. She and I agree that the bowl is very nicely done. I'm getting into the segmented world as well. Thanks for posting.

John Keeton
03-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Dan, the joinery looks very tight, and the wood combo is great. Nice form and finish, so I would say you have a winner!

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Dan, very nice, especially for your first.

David E Keller
03-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Looks good to me. One correction though... You referred to your father as your biggest 'supporter', and I feel that 'enabler' would be a much better word!

Michael James
03-27-2011, 11:12 PM
That's funny...The lathe was the last in the door. OH MY..... where to put all the stuff now? Seriously way overdue for a major spring re-organization cleanup!

I think thats a great bowl and a very intelligent approach. Seems to me if you struggle with the simpler ones, well the complex patterns won't be any fun at all. You might remind your wife that when you make it to retirement, you're going to have to be the handyman on a fixed income. Works for me!:cool:
mj

Michael Short
03-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Dan,

Excellent first segemented project. The joints are very tight and the form and colors are very well balanced. I am looking forward to your next segmented work.

Doug W Swanson
03-27-2011, 11:41 PM
Dan,
That's a great looking bowl. It's hard to believe it's your first try at segmenting. I've done one segmented bowl and it's nowhere near as nice as yours. Tight glue lines, joints lined up, great form, etc. You should be very proud of it!

Alan Tolchinsky
03-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Dan, Great job on that bowl. I like the wood combination. Now on to more segmenting projects; they're a lot of fun. Alan

Michelle Rich
03-28-2011, 7:33 AM
I've been segmenting since the cows came home, so I know a bit about the skills needed. This is an excellent first, by anyone's standards. Will be interesting to watch your progress.

Jim Adkins
03-28-2011, 8:14 AM
Excellent first success with the segmentation Dan. No telling where this may lead you. No doubt a start to more glueing/turning of pieces of wood. Keep the finger intact!! Thanks

Dan Cannon
03-28-2011, 8:26 AM
Thanks so much for the kind words everyone! My hope was that this first go around would at least not discourage me from trying more segmenting, which it certainly did not. But it sure did give me an appreciation for the work that goes into some of the beautiful pieces that I've seen on here. So we'll see where it goes from here, I've already got my thoughts on how to improve, and am looking forward to it!

David - You have a great point on my Dad's "enabler" tendencies...and I love him for it!!

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Very nice bowl! Really like the wood combination used! As others have already mentioned - really good joinery and nice finish! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Mark Hubl
03-28-2011, 1:14 PM
Congrats on your first. It looks awfully good. I always chuckle when someone says their segmented project was "simple". I think that is a bit of an understatement. Love seeing the work of those that have been tugged into the seggy vortex. Hope you do some more.

Bill Bulloch
03-28-2011, 2:05 PM
Great job Dan. Great joinery. See it pays to take the time and get the sled set for accuracy. If you hadn't told us no one would have known this was your first.

Scott Lux
03-28-2011, 2:28 PM
You must have done something wrong. I can't even see the glue lines, and they all line up. Glue lines are supposed to be very thick, with a lot of variation. And there's not supposed to be anything parallel to anything else. Oh, and it should look like it was assembled by a toddler. At least that's how I would do it. :D

Excellent work on that one.

John Beaver
03-28-2011, 7:45 PM
Dan,
Great first effort. The joints and alignment both look terrific. Can't wait to see what this leads to.

David Reed
03-28-2011, 7:54 PM
Very nice work. As stated, the joinery is very good and the wood selections are complementary. Good form and finish - what more could you want?

Dan Forman
03-29-2011, 12:40 AM
A fine bowl on all accounts!

Dan