PDA

View Full Version : Is this Live Edge floating top table too narrow?

David Eisan
03-27-2011, 7:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I am working on a live edge floating top cherry hall table.

Size,

Height - 30-3/8"
Table top width - 8-3/8" to 10-1/8"
Distance between front and back apron - 4-7/8"
Distance front to back, leg to leg - 7"
Distance between legs - 3-3/4"

I can still make it 1-2" wider, but I am not sure.

Thank you for looking,

David.

Dan Hahr
03-27-2011, 8:34 PM
The legs look a little heavy to me. If they were a little slimmer, I think it would look great.
Dan

Tony Bilello
03-27-2011, 8:52 PM
It will always have a stability problem. Best thing to do is to figure out a way to attach it un-noticably to the wall.

keith micinski
03-27-2011, 9:01 PM
I have this one that has a 10 inch spread on the legs but it's not as tall. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143709-Finished-table-up-thanks-to-this-great-forum.&highlight= I like the idea of a bracket to a wall if that's where it is going and not up against a couch.

keith micinski
03-27-2011, 9:05 PM
Also it looks like the taper on the legs is on the inside face so as your looking at it they are thinned. That looks like an interesting use of a nice piece of wood. To bad you can't try some bent lamination and match the front apron with the curve of the top. I love the little things like that, but most non woodworking people would care more about everything else. Make sure you post some pictures when that thing is done.

david brum
03-27-2011, 11:02 PM
What about entirely losing the back set of legs, then attaching the back apron to the wall with cleats or something. That would both make it stable and give the illusion of more width.

Don Kondra
03-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Hi David,

How about making the base ~12" deep at one end and 14" deep at the other, then have two mounting points pierce the rails front to back (dovetail, etc.) and float the top on those...

Then you could let your imagination run free on shaping the top of the visible legs/frame.

The top doesn't always have to be bigger than the base :)

Maybe consider attacking the legs with a spokeshave, they are pretty heavy as is. Lots of possibilities there with the available stock.

Cheers, Don

Dave MacArthur
03-28-2011, 4:45 AM
Guess I wasn't off from what others have posted, I thought the legs looked to beefy sitting right next to each other like that, and was going to suggest that three legs might improve it from a looks and stability standpoint. I wouldn't say the top is too narrow, but I would say that 4 thick legs jammed into 8" is too much.

Larry Edgerton
03-28-2011, 6:48 AM
It depends on where it is going. Ideally each piece we build is built to fit the enviroment that it will reside in, and we have not seen that.

I like it and I will be curious to see it in its home. I don't necessarily think the legs need to be thinner, every piece does not need to look like a Krenov, but it does need to fit in its home ultimately.