PDA

View Full Version : Engraving around text

Jerry DePuma
03-27-2011, 6:31 PM
This may sound like a dumb question but how to engrave around text?

I have a shape with a fill with text in the middle. I want to engrave the fill but not the text.
I'm using Corel X5 and exporting either a PLT or DXF into lasercut. I've tried make the whole thing a bitmap, then converting to vector. But I just can't seem to gt it. The backgroung engraves but the text isn't there.

I'm know just another newbie question so I though I would to go where the info is.

Thanks,
Jerry

Dee Gallo
03-27-2011, 7:03 PM
Try making a shape for the background and filling it with black, no outline needed. Then, make your lettering and fill it with white, no outline will bump up the thickness of the letters or you can add a white outline of .5 points or bigger.

This will raster the way you describe.

cheers, and welcome to the Creek!

dee

edit: you can use a fill which is a pattern or photo too.

Jerry DePuma
03-27-2011, 7:36 PM
Thanks Dee, that's how I did it, but I just get the background and no text. I thought perhaps I was missing something. I'll go try it again.

Would it matter which file I export as DXF or PLT?

Larry Bratton
03-27-2011, 7:48 PM
Sounds as if you only have your background selected. I am not familiar with the software you speak of, but once you get it there and are ready to print it, be sure you have everything you want to print selected. Do a print preview if possible to see what the driver is about to send to the laser.

Martin Boekers
03-27-2011, 7:52 PM
Can you see the text in your layout?

If not make sure the text is in front of the background.
You can change the "layer order" under arrange and order.

Marty

Ross Moshinsky
03-27-2011, 8:10 PM
Every laser driver is different. Take the text and convert it to paths. Then select your shape and text and make a compound path. Send the job over and see how things look. I bet that solves the problem.

Jerry DePuma
03-27-2011, 9:02 PM
Every laser driver is different. Take the text and convert it to paths. Then select your shape and text and make a compound path. Send the job over and see how things look. I bet that solves the problem.

That did the trick Ross,now the next thing to to run it again with a fill like basket weave. Closing the polylines of the basket weave and still have the text there is the next step.
Thanks for the help everyone,
Jerry

Ross Moshinsky
03-27-2011, 11:21 PM
You shouldn't have to do what I suggested every time. I'd look at your laser driver and see if you can switch engraving modes. There should be one that automatically "blends" all the colors and layers together.