PDA

View Full Version : Shop cleanup question: burning MDF scraps?

Steve Branam
03-27-2011, 6:26 PM
I'm cleaning up the shop and collecting a couple of burn barrels of scraps, all the stuff that's too small to use for project bits. I'm such a packrat I save nearly every tiny cutoff (that's a good piece of wood, I know I can build something out of it some day!), but I have to clean house before they overwhelm me. I hate to cart stuff off to the landfill, I'd like to get at least some thermal value out of it!

I have a barrel for hardwoods that won't soot up the chimney in the living room fireplace, and one for softwoods for the outdoor fireplace for the summer.

The question I have is this: is it safe to burn MDF in either indoor or outdoor fireplaces? Any concerns about toxic smoke or chimney deposits? I know it's not safe to burn pressure-treated lumber, but I don't know anything about what goes into MDF, particularly the chemical binders, and I have a bunch of old scraps of it.

Kent A Bathurst
03-27-2011, 6:43 PM
Zero chance I would burn manufactured wood products of any type. I won't even give those scraps to my neighbors for their outdoor fireplaces, and I'm the local "kindling" supplier.

What's in the binder matrix in MDF? Formaldehyde? Eye-of-newt resins? Other really cool stuff?

Naahhh.

Bruce Page
03-27-2011, 7:33 PM
I'm with Kent. I don't burn any man made materials in our FP.

Thomas Bank
03-27-2011, 8:17 PM
What's in the binder matrix in MDF? Formaldehyde? Eye-of-newt resins? Other really cool stuff?

Urea-formaldehyde resins are the typical binder. As you say... Naahhh...

Phil Thien
03-27-2011, 8:33 PM
I burn MDF outside. Formaldehyde is found in hardwoods, gasoline, cigarettes, etc.

Logan William
03-27-2011, 9:56 PM
And most of the MDF manufacturers are switching to ultra low or formaldehyde free glues in order to promote their "green" image and help comply with the new regulations, specifically California's

Steve Branam
03-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the advice, everybody! I guess caution is the more prudent route here. I took all the MDF out, it turned out to be a small enough amount that I could live with myself just throwing it away. Plus I ended up with 3 barrels full of other stuff for outside burning, so my wood storage has been tamed!